Hours to Build Model

Started by
12 comments, last by Professor420 17 years, 11 months ago
How many hours (I know this will be a rough estimate) does it take to build a reasonably detailed army tank? Not every rivet, but good basic shape, aux. machine guns basic shapes, individual wheels but not tracks, hatches that can be opened but not insides, and turrets and guns that can turn. The model would be equivalent top one used for a real-time PC game. So I guess 2000 faces/polys. Including a single detailed (2048x2048) texture map? Realistic estimate would be appreciated - this is just need to know, ballpark figure. We have bosses that people can do it in 2 hours, someone else says 40 hours, and someone else 80 hours! So you can see I'm confused. just want to get an idea whose closest. Thanks.
Advertisement
2-4 hours. Depends on how much the person knows what they're doing and how fast they can get the job done. Basically, they know what they're doing from experience of making similar models before, and how fast they can get the job done lies in their talent of being able to visualize in their head how to get the job done in the first place.
3-5 hours modeling
30min. - 1 hour unwrap
2-3 hours texture.

5.5 - 9 hours total

Thats the best I can do, it all depends on the modeler and program. No one can really say for sure
How about these models -

http://www.ea.com/official/moh/alliedassault/us/specs/vehicles.jsp

How long to build those?
It'll likely take more than 9 hours. It'll depend alot on the modeller and how much experience they have and backup systems.
4-6 hours a good estimate for modelling and UVwrapping (I'd also allocate alot more than 2000 faces... look at art similar to the game you're doing, or from the game your modding, to get estimates).
Texturing will depend on a few things: where is he getting his base textures? Reference? Dirt maps? Size? If he's doing everything by hand on a 2048x2048 texture, it'll take a couple days probably (15-20 hours?). If he's on a 1024 texture and is using a texture CD, could be 2-4 hours.
Do they know how to set things up to get inengine? How are the treads/wheels/turrets rigged? Is this their first model or their tenth (already having 9 working ingame is different from just having modelled 9 things)?
It may be wise to spend a while collecting basic sheet metal textures, reference photos, coming up with a palette, etc., to give to all your artists, it will make their job easier and their art more coherent. And it would be wise to have them working on less important things first (but also less fun) to get aquainted with the engine, so the important things come out right.
Also don't forget Level of Detail models, which for mechanical objects are often a real pain.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Quote:Original post by slowpid
3-5 hours modeling
30min. - 1 hour unwrap
2-3 hours texture.

5.5 - 9 hours total

Thats the best I can do, it all depends on the modeler and program. No one can really say for sure

I'd go with this almost exactly. The only thing I would add to it is if there are going to be any special setups needed to define the model as a vehicle. Certain game engines have certain special things to do.

Scott
Newfound Room -- Open your mind to open content.
UV unwrapping is a tedious job. So is building proper single-continuous meshes (which is important in games for eliminating overdraw and z-fighting). You need to find some documentation or example pictures. Then there is the texture to be produced, just sketching something up in Photoshop won't cut it. Tweak here, smooth there, collapse some edges, all in all I'd say at least 2 or 3 days.
I think you all are over-estimating a lot. I can build an entire 2000+ poly character and refine it in barely more than 2 hours, and I've only been working with 3D Art for less than 5 years. A tank would most likely require less refining than you'd think considering it's general shape, and with any professional it would take less than 2, maybe 20 minutes to unwrap it(again, think of it's shape), and texturing it might take another 2 hours max.

It would only take more than 6 or so hours if the people in question were beginners in a sense to vehicle modelling.
And how long would it take you to texture one of your 2000 poly characters. 2000 polies is not alot at all and I wouldn't be skeptical about your 2 hour modelling timeframe, but you don't include unwrapping and texturing and binding.
There's no way to unwrap a tank in 20 minutes.... in fact, I'd dare say you could unwrap a nude model faster than a mechanical object. Just your decision making on where to repeat, what to shrink, etc., would take 20 minutes.
Let's say your right, are you saying it took a single artist a single week to build every model on that website? NOW do you see how ridiculous your estimate sounds?
-------------www.robg3d.com
With 15 years of experience in 3D Studio I wouldn't call myself a beginner. Sure, I can make a textured tank in even *five* minutes, but I assume we are talking about a somewhat decent model here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement