Back after long absence

Started by
4 comments, last by RedKMan 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello All, I have returned to programming after a long absence. I've just downloaded the April 2006 DirectX SDK and am looking at starting back right at the beginning and re-learning if you like. I'm very very rusty with C++ but have enough books to get me back upto speed. Just wondering what new advances have been made since DX9 not only with the SDK but also with game programming as well. Can anyone recommend any NEW game programming tutorials that start you off at the beginning from initialising DX etc. I'm looking to encapsulate everything into classes and go about things that way rather than a one program deal as well. Any advise on how to get back on board would be appreciated as I'm very keen to get back into this. Incidently, playing Kung Fu Master brought me back :)
Advertisement
As for new tutorials, I think simply reading the "Programming Guide," and possible "Tutorials" sections of the DXSDK Documentation is a good choice.

Nevertheless, perhaps you should try out alternative languages to C++ (and I say this as someone who primarily uses C++), such as C# or Python, before you settle for C++. I mention this since you say you plan on "encapsulating everything into classes". I don't know about Python, but C#/MDX already has (rather thin) wrapper classes for DX, and it is a more pure OO language.

jfl.
Hey,

Thanks for the feedback. Quick question I've setup all the directories for the new DX10 SDK but there appears to be no .DSW files so I cannot load up any of the programs? I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio 6 Standard? Has something changed in my absence on this?

Thanks,
You must be mistaken about DX10. I believe there is only a preview in the DX9 SDK that only works in Vista. Somehow I doubt someone using VS6 is also using Vista ;)

dsw files have been replaced with sln files. You would be best off to upgrade to Visual Studio 8 (for instance, download Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, it's free; make sure you read this as well). I don't know if the latest DX SDK even works in VC6.

Hope that helps.

jfl.
the last sdk working with vc6 is the oktober 2004 sdk and only if you download the extras package aswell and add the needed vc6 libraries

cheers
Hey,

Just checked the version of the SDK I was using, DX 9 December 2002 version. I'll download the free version and see how I enjoy getting back into things before splashing the cash. Thanks for the help, made it less painful for me to get back into :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement