Do you guys know a game like this one?

Started by
6 comments, last by Omega147 17 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys, I suppose this could be posted in the lounge but I figured this kind of falls in the whole "writing for games" category since writing IS the game :) A group of friends and I created a website where people could roleplay. Basically people would sign up for an account and they were allowed to create 3 characters of various classes and races. This was a pure role playing site. We kept no stats and there was no DMs... we kind of ran on a "honor" system where people had to respect eachother or else they'd get banned. We shut down the site a few months ago and right now I'm getting some withdrawal. I really feel like creating a character and role playing in a world but I don't feel like reopening the site. I find that playing in a world I created takes away some of the appeal. (if you want to see what kind of site we ran you can it's still online. We only turned off everything. Check it out! Do you guys know of any similar site? I feel like role playing without needing to wait for some administrator's "roll" to see what the world's reaction is to my decision. edit: fixed the link, that's Avatar God I didn't realize. [Edited by - sanch3x on May 19, 2006 7:00:11 AM]
Advertisement
Not to sound rude or elitist... but on the other hand I really think your trolling.

RPG SITES HAVE BEEN EXISTING LIKE THAT SINCE 1994!!!!!

I know, I was there. Sadly I stopped playing them when I was in gradeschool so I can't give you a URL. But yuou CAN find them quite easily.

JESUS IS GOD! JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD! GOD IS LOVE!

Why don't you find one and show me if they're so easy to find. An active one following the description I gave you. I think you'll find it's harder** then you think, we're not in 1994 anymore. I know sites like that have existed for a long time I'm not saying we invented the genre but they have become rare since the mmo era*. That's why I made a thread about it.

edit: *I showed the old site I played because I don't know what term people use, I've seen so many accronyms I decided not to bother.

**uugh I'm dumb, switched the word "easier" with "harder"

[Edited by - sanch3x on May 19, 2006 7:37:20 AM]
Quote:Original post by JustOwninDaFINALBOSS
Not to sound rude or elitist... but on the other hand I really think your trolling.

RPG SITES HAVE BEEN EXISTING LIKE THAT SINCE 1994!!!!!

I know, I was there. Sadly I stopped playing them when I was in gradeschool so I can't give you a URL. But yuou CAN find them quite easily.
What he's asking for is difficult to google. You can't ask google to find you a good, fun, and active online RPG of that sort.

Sadly, no, I don't have any links to real community RPG sites, especially ones without the fixed administrator control.

(Ovlivianatus link with the http added)
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Avatar God
What he's asking for is difficult to google. You can't ask google to find you a good, fun, and active online RPG of that sort.

Sadly, no, I don't have any links to real community RPG sites, especially ones without the fixed administrator control.

(Ovlivianatus link with the http added)

There can be fixed rules that I can follow as long as I don't have to post a thread with lines like "Dublor asks the shopkeeper for directions to the aqueduct" only to have to wait for the administrator to reply because *I* can't decide what the npc says.

I realize these games need rules to keep over zealous players from making extremely powerful characters. I just don't want my creativity to be hindered by having to wait for world reactions.

I've found many webrings for these kinds of games but most are nothing but remnants of the past... you know echoes of what once was but is no more ;-)
I just discovered this website the other day: http://www.playbywiki.com/Ninthsigil

Although it may not be as free-form as you'd like.
You might check out the "game" Second Life. It would let you build a community like the one you described (or pretty much any other, for that matter).

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Sanch, and anyone else interested in online roleplaying, check out OpenRPG. It's essentially a chat client that has added features to assist DM's and players alike in the playing of any pen-and-paper game (i.e. not limited solely to D&D can play D20 modern games or whatever else you feel like playing; it's very versatile). Such features include a 2D playing grid (which can be drawn on), dice buttons, support for icon "minis", and a couple other things. Really nice program, and it's free.

The great thing about OpenRPG is that it's live. Playing by forums, email, or the likes is slow and stupid; don't do it! With OpenRPG, you join a server, find a DM looking for extra players, then join! No registration or fees or the likes required. Just play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement