Sign in to follow this  
Maggott

X format animation questions

Maggott    122
I come from a 3D cinematics background and a 2D games programming background. I'm finally trying to mesh these things together by moving on to 3D games (at least, for some projects). I've been trying to figure out the best way to set things up, and I have a few questions about X-file animation. First off, do X files use bone animation, vertex animation, or both? Second, is it possible to use vertex blends with bones animation? (Adding vertex-morphed facial expressions to a bone-driven animation, for example) Third, in an average engine (i.e. DirectX) how many vertex keyframes can you have before a program will be choked? Is it plausible to bake every frame of a set of character animations (500+ keyframes) or will this be too resource-intensive? Thanks in advance, Maggy

DXnut    262
1) X Files only support bone animations. However, you can register custom templates for saving custom data.

2) DirectX doesn't do vertex blends. You would need to code something yourself for that.

3) Look at the Tiny_4anim.x mesh in the MultiAnimation sample. Some of the animation sets have over 900 SRT keys in them. Of course, these are for animating the frames (or bones), but the concept is the same. You find the key >= the current time and the next one and interpolate between them. You could always do a binary search to find them if you are worried about the search routine to find the keys to use each frame.