what can you tell me about this PhysX thing?

Started by
3 comments, last by igni ferroque 17 years, 11 months ago
what do you guys think of the PhysX? i heard about it today and was wondering whether you guys could tell me your opinions and anything you've heard. i read it's pretty good but i ain't gonna jump the gun and go straight to 'how do i get this thing' without info from people who know stuff about it.
Advertisement
Just read this.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Search the forums. There's already a lot of discussion on the topic.
-janoside [Firestorm Engine]
There's a review of it on www.anandtech.com.
They're not very impressed. Seems that in the few games that use it, the framerate actually goes down with it. (although that's obviously because they add more fancy physics stuff, but even so. Seems to be some nasty stuttering just when physics objects are spawned too. Interesting technology, but I think you can safely wait a few driver revisions without missing out on anything. [wink])
Quote:i read it's pretty good but i ain't gonna jump the gun and go straight to 'how do i get this thing' without info from people who know stuff about it.
There's the problem: hardly anybody knows anything about it.

If you're interested in developing for it, don't waste your time asking for opinions and just grab the free SDK. Ageia has said that future releases of the SDK will be functionally equivalent with and without the PhysX accelerator cards. As of the current release, the only feature that requires the PPU is particle fluids.

If you're just interested in it from a gamer's perspective, take spoonbender's advice and hold out for a while.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement