Sign in to follow this  
junpei

Starting at University This Year

junpei    122
Hey guys, this is my first post weee <3 In september of this year I will be starting the first of 5 years Studying Computer Games Technology at the Liverpool John Moores University in the UK. When its over i'll have a Masters in Computer Games Technology. Its a 4 year Sandwhich course ( the 3rd year is spent working in the idustry ) and an extra year on the end to make it a masters. theres my background info ;) Heres my lovely questions :D Should I start trying to contact computer games companys as soon as possible to try and secure myself a placement that I want when the 3rd year rolls around? Is there anything I should do to get a head start, like.. would it be adviseable to start learning C++ etc etc? is there any advice you can offer me ? Thanks very much :D hope I posted this in the right place !!

superpig    1825
Quote:
Original post by junpei
Should I start trying to contact computer games companys as soon as possible to try and secure myself a placement that I want when the 3rd year rolls around?
No, wait until the second year. Wait until you're settled in, that you're sure the course is right for you, etc. Once you're there, you'll also have help from the university in finding a placement - they've got contacts that you don't - so there's really no need to rush. Games companies also won't want to be committing to anything too far down the line, because a lot can change for a company in two years.

Quote:

Is there anything I should do to get a head start, like.. would it be adviseable to start learning C++ etc etc?
The most important thing you can do right now is to work on a portfolio. They don't need to be in C++ - if anything a variety of tools and technologies will look better. Try putting together some simple games in things like Flash or GameMaker; there's enough coding/scripting involved there to get you started in thinking about things logically, yet they're powerful enough that you should be able to create some finished projects without too much trouble. Making clones or classic games like Pong is OK, but make damn sure they're nicely implemented. Aim to impress.

If your university course includes teaching you C++, then I wouldn't recommend starting it now. It will be easier for you to learn it from them if you don't have a bunch of half-learnt ideas already floating around in your head. (The typical scenario is that they talk about something that you think you already know, and so you stop listening, and then they include some details that you didn't know).