Warengine Skirmish: the Concept

Started by
3 comments, last by rHornbek 17 years, 11 months ago
"Warengine Skirmish (WES)" is a RTS that is less about large numbers of units and even less around Base micro managment. Using basic point and click functions you command various Warengines (robots) around the field of battle to complete objectives, either against the computer or favoratably against other players. Because you will not be commanding large amounts of units you will have much more customizability for your individual Warengines. Using anywhere between 5 and 10 Warengines per game makes the construction of each individual one much more important, for every one will make a differance in the battle. The universe that Warengine Skirmish takes place in, is during a industrial psudo WWII era so technology is limited. However the variety of weapons and equiptment are limitless, with frequant content updates and patches. --- Each player will be able to create Warengines in the Garage Mode, selecting from all the pieces available to create specific machines. The Warengines can then be saved and named to be selected before any battle. The componants of each Warengine are broken up into the following... Frames: are the base of the Warengine, this will determine the compacity of the machines fuctionality. The Frames have five classes, Sub Light, Light, Medium, Heavy and Super Heavy. Each will be able to hold more or less items and will differ in ability. Engines: the engines will be the core of the machine, this will generate the energy requiored to move and perform various manuvers. In addition the engine will create other energies for specific devices. Engines can also have a few differant things changed about them such as; cooling so they dont over heat or get picked up on heat sensetive devices, super charge so they get increased output for durations of time etc. Heads: will hold all the sensory devices such as the radar and communications. The head too can be customized for various tactics and abilities for in the battle. Armor: the armor will give the Warengine protection from enemy fire, but differant armor will protect against differant weapons so be aware when deciding. Armor also comes in the same five classes as Frames but are not limited to, you can place a Light portion of Armor on one part of the Warengine and Heavy on another. As for customization, this is where you are able to choose coloring for you Warengine. Weapons: they come in all shapes and sizes and can be placed in various parts of the Warengine. They can be place in five locations, Right Arm, Left Arm, Right Shoulder, Left Shoulder and On/In the Frame. The Weapons themselve come in various types themselve that are to numerous to state all here, but they will be either, Extreme Long Range, Long Range, Short Range, Melee Range or Dropped. Devices: are additional things you can add to aid your machines in combat, but they are generaly defensive or suportive items, such as; Lights, Chaf etc. --- When a player first plays they will be aloted 2000 Aquesition points (2000 Qp.) The points can be used to create a small group of Warengines that they can use to fight against the computer or other players online. To obtain more points the player MUST fight and defeat other players and over time will accumulate more points and fine with larger forces. As of now the cap for points will be 100,000 Qp per player and this will be considered max level. --- Online play, will give you a few differant options. There is Arena Battles which are just simple games against other players with player decided scinarios. When you fight these battles you will not gain any points. To earn points you must play the Campaign mode where you join a team and fight over territory, your victories here will early you points. --- So what do you think?
BLOG: http://rhornbek.wordpress.com/
Advertisement
It's definitely an interesting concept. Done well, macha fans will eat it up.

I hate to be an asshole, but first of all, I would suggest you get friendly with a spellchecker.

Quote:Original post by Dasubermechen
When a player first plays they will be aloted 2000 Aquesition points (2000 Qp.) The points can be used to create a small group of Warengines that they can use to fight against the computer or other players online. To obtain more points the player MUST fight and defeat other players and over time will accumulate more points and fine with larger forces. As of now the cap for points will be 100,000 Qp per player and this will be considered max level.

WAY too vulnerable to cheating, if you intend "Qp." to be a measure of skill. Think about it. Why not play vs. yourself or a willing ally? Anyone could easily get to the top tier.

Other than that, good luck. I don't follow the scene, but I haven't heard of a good mech game for awhile. (I like front mission 4)
Maybe instead, you could make it a measure of the won battles? There is an anime (I can't remember the name of it, sorry) in which some kids build different Robots and make them battle, and the winner is to get a part of the loosing robot, so as to make his own better, or more versatile.

Maybe, instead of aQuisition Points, you could make it, I don't know, acQuired Parts, or something? Like, when you destroy an opponent, you can salvage the machine, which means that you have to send reinforcements to bring it back to teh HeadQuarters Garage, to salvage it, or choose to leave some cargo bay in your own WarEngines, to bring the fallen troops back? Which makes the decision of using the auto-destroy command extremely important? Maybe you acquire the new technologies through both warspoils and research, which means that you then have new areas of reasearch open to you as you get more warspoils? You could simply go for brute strength research, and try to overpower the enemy in terms of firepower of defensive armor, but then, you would have to forgo the possibilities of finding out better ways of destroying the enemy's specific armor and weapons, since you already destroyed them through brute strength. Blinding, or camo, or any other technology wouldn't be accessible, since you don't know what you need to achieve those. You have to capture one or more ennemy machines to access those areas?
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
Quote:Original post by Fournicolas
There is an anime (I can't remember the name of it, sorry) in which some kids build different Robots and make them battle, and the winner is to get a part of the loosing robot, so as to make his own better, or more versatile.

Medabots?

A long time ago i was inspired by the Japanese anime series Medabots to make a very similar game. I briefly thought out the basic mechanics of gameplay and named the game Cybots after much contemplation. However one day when i was surfing the net i came up across this game and promptly scrapped my idea.

Not saying you should back-out like i did, just tread softly. Besides, the aforementioned game is more statistical with no dynamic visualisation (last i checked) while i presume your's will be more functional and in full 3D.

Check out our latest game: Xen The Alien

Well i took your information into mind and have gone back to the drawing board. I am going to work a little more out on the concept and post it again later more updated, and i hope it will work a little better than as is now.

Anyone know how to delete posts to clear up some room?
BLOG: http://rhornbek.wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement