• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
janta

Forward declaration of a template class (c++)

This topic is 4415 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been reading a couple of tutorials and docs about templates for about one hour but still I could find the answer I'm looking for, so I hope someone could help here. I have defined a class like:
template <class T> BasicStack
And then in the same header I introduced a couple of helper typedefs like:
typedef BasicStack<int> IntBasicStack;
Now in another class header where i want to use that stuff, I got sth like:
class Logger
{
    BasicIntStack* m_pStateStack;
}
And of course, when I include logger.h, say in main.cpp (for example), BasicIntStack turns into an unknown type specifier. I sure know how to handle this when it deals with a regular class ( I just add some forward declaration in my header file) but now that is a template class and I'm unable to figure out what syntax I should be using.
class BasicIntStack; // error C2371: 'UTBoolStaticStack' : redefinition; different basic types
template <class T> class BasicIntStack; // error C2920: redefinition
template <class T> class BasicStack; // syntax error at the declaration of m_pStateStack
I know that with a child and a parent classes, the compiler always require both definitions to be able to compile, not just a simple forward declaration. So maybe templates works the same way and I should just include BasicStack.h into logger.h But that seems too dirty to me. Whatever, some help would be appreciated :) Janta =========== After more research, I succeeded to get someting clean by not using any typdef, just:
// forward decl
template <class T> class BasicStack;

class Logger
{
    BasicStack<int>* m_pStack;
}
But that does not fully satisfy me since full template names are really a p*** in the a** to use. Maybe add a typedef directly into the file of interest:
// forward decl
template <class T> class BasicStack;
typedef BasicStack<int> IntStack;

class Logger
{
    IntStack* m_pStack;
}
I guess I'll wait to see if someone can ofer me a different way of adressing this. Thanks :)

Advertisement
Hi Janta,

you're right - for a template class declared like this:

template <typename T> class BasicStack
{
// stuff...
};

its forward declaration/predeclaration looks like this:

template <typename T> class BasicStack;

If you don't like typing a full declaration inside your Logger class, then I'd suggest using a Logger-scoped typedef like this:

class Logger
{
typedef BasicStack<int> statestack_type;
statestack_type* m_pStateStack;

// stuff...
};

Using this scheme, you limit the scope of the typedef so that it doesn't affect other classes, your typedef can have a more meaningful name because it is only used within the context of your logger, and you can continue to use stuff like statestack_type::iterator in your method definitions.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jones.

Thanks for you reply ajones, that could be a solution.

But what I would have liked was to create one single alias for my BasicStack<int> which I could reuse everywhere in my code without re-typedef'ing every time.

So another solution I've vame up with is, instead of a typedef, declaring a new empty class like

class IntStack : public StaticStack<int>{};

I think this would work fine provided there are no private fields in the
StaticStack class.

And then I could forward-declare my class just like any other forward class declaration. Plys I could reuse it all over my code, since I plan to make my Stack class a part of my project's precompiled header.

I'll try this when back home tonight.

What do you say ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!