the USD

Started by
52 comments, last by LessBread 17 years, 10 months ago
Here are a few links that I scrounged up via google news on the subject of euros, dollars and petrol currency.

Gold falls as dollar rises

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. precious metals futures fell further Friday morning as a stronger U.S. dollar sparked speculative liquidation in the volatile hard assets, dealers said.

In early trade gold for June delivery was down $27.40, or 4 percent, at $653.50 an ounce on the New York Mercantile Exchange's COMEX division, trading from $688.90 to $651 which marked its cheapest since late April.

NYMEX June palladium shed $39.50 or 10 percent to $333 an ounce, hitting a six-week low of $330.

In earlier London action, gold prices fell as they tracked trends in the dollar, but the buyers that took the market to recent 26-year highs should soon return, dealers said.

"We might get people encouraged to buy back at these levels and drive it higher again," said Robin Bhar, analyst at UBS Investment Bank.

"We do expect more volatility... but today seems to be a day of consolidation."

Spot gold rose as high as $688.50 an ounce in Asian trade before falling to $661.20 an ounce, down from $680.70 in late New York trade and off last week's 26-year high of $730.

Bullion dealers were braced for choppy trade.

"Take out a coin and toss. Whatever it says just follow it... I will stick to my trading range of $670 to $730 for the moment until proven otherwise," said a bullion dealer in Singapore.

IRAN: EURO TO REPLACE DOLLAR AS OIL CURRENCY

Quote:
Tehran, 5 May (AKI) - In July Iran will ditch the dollar in favour of the euro as the currency in which it will accept payments for its oil and natural gas exports, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced Friday. The switch, first mooted months ago, was expected but Ahmadinejad's decision comes just as Washington is stepping up pressure on other United Nations Security Council members to act against Tehran for flouting agreements taken with the UN's nuclear watchdog.

Venezuela Considers Selling Oil in Euros

Quote:
Caracas, Venezuela, May 18, 2006—Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez declared on Tuesday that Venezuela would consider putting the sale of its oil in Euros. His comments come after Iran had announced that it too is contemplating switching to the European currency.

“That was an interesting proposal made by the president of Iran,” Chavez told Channel 4 News in London. “We are also free to choose between the dollar and the euro. I think that the European Union has made a great contribution with the Euro.”

“In a way, what the President of Iran is saying… is recognizing the power of Europe, that they have succeed in the integration and have a single currency that competes with the dollar, and Venezuela can consider that, too, we are free to do that,” Chavez added.

According to the BBC, Iran announced earlier this month that they supported the creation of an “oil exchange that traded solely in Euros”. Experts have warned that such a conversion to the European currency could trigger central banks to convert their dollar reserves to euros, thus potentially worsening the already declining US currency.

Venezeula switching to Euros would be a bigger hit than Iran as the US gets 10% of it's oil from there and none from Iran. In general though, this is a bit of a real time economics experiment. What happens when an oil producing country switches a different petrocurrency? It's never really happened before.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
The U.S. should switch to the Euro then [grin]
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Quote:Original post by ChemicalImbalance
oil.

I second this. Gold always worked too.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
I have no money in any currency... [crying]

+1

When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

Put your money into a violin and fiddle as the USD crashes!

Only half joking...
Quote:Original post by etothex
I wouldn't trust oil. Oil is a "rich" commodity; if the dollar crashes, a lot of people are suddenly going to be poor, which means they spend less on cars and imports and other things which require oil.

There is always a market for oil no matter what happens. If the dollar crashes then the market will just change from the US to some other place and due to the flexible nature of the oil business the oil will just follow the demand.

"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Venezeula switching to Euros would be a bigger hit than Iran as the US gets 10% of it's oil from there and none from Iran. In general though, this is a bit of a real time economics experiment. What happens when an oil producing country switches a different petrocurrency? It's never really happened before.

Actually, Iran has been accepting euro as payment for EU and ACU customers since mid-2003 [William Clark], but the prices have still been denominated in dollars (which would probably change if/when the Iranian oil bourse launches). Also, Iraq was selling its oil for euros during the oil-for-food program [CNN], amounting to about 5 % of world exports. After the US occupation, Iraqi oil is once again traded for dollars.

It's happened before. And the existing bourses in NY and London won't be shutting down anytime soon. Any reduction of the dollar's role in the world economy will be a gradual process.
Quote:Original post by Ksero
Actually, Iran has been accepting euro as payment for EU and ACU customers since mid-2003 [William Clark], but the prices have still been denominated in dollars

I can denominate them for you in Romanian lions if you wish. It's as easy as a multiplication. And no, global warming did not advance that much yet - the lion is our currency [smile] I blame the Dutch.[grin]
Quote:Original post by Way Walker
When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

Put your money into a violin and fiddle as the USD crashes!

Only half joking...

I prefer a monkey and a musicbox.

Only half serious...

shmoove
Quote:If one were planning on a USD crash, what would one put money into?
Just give your money to me, I'll keep it safe![grin]
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Quote:Original post by Ksero
Quote:Original post by LessBread

Actually, Iran has been accepting euro as payment for EU and ACU customers since mid-2003 [William Clark], but the prices have still been denominated in dollars (which would probably change if/when the Iranian oil bourse launches). Also, Iraq was selling its oil for euros during the oil-for-food program [CNN], amounting to about 5 % of world exports. After the US occupation, Iraqi oil is once again traded for dollars.

It's happened before. And the existing bourses in NY and London won't be shutting down anytime soon. Any reduction of the dollar's role in the world economy will be a gradual process.

In that case, the answer to the question "what happens when an oil producing country switches petro currency?" appears to be that country gets invaded by the country who's currency was displaced. However, I posed that question with an eye towards economics - what happens if such a switch is allowed to stand? How will markets respond to the change? That hasn't happened before. This commodity is so foundational that power elites won't subject it to market forces (even though they will certainly pay lip service to the notion that it is).

What Iran has been doing, requiring euros, doesn't remove the dollar from the pricing formulations. So far, the "experiment" hasn't yet been allowed to proceed.

It helps to ask why is it that oil producing countries don't require their oil to be purchased in their currency in the first place. Why isn't Iran selling it in Iranian currency? (and so on for each country) Why was oil ever sold in dollars? Why not gold or silver instead?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement