C++ Workshop - Tutor List

Started by
17 comments, last by samanime 17 years, 7 months ago
David Neubelt

David started programming in QBASIC at the age of 9, and only a few years later he wrote his own a 2d/3d raycaster. By the age of 15 he was working at a Computer Programming camp teaching younger kids C. At the age of 17 he won his state computer science programming competition and received a partial scholarship. During the time he was getting his A.S degree in Computer Science from UCONN he worked as an application programmer in C++ at Multi-Seals. He finished up his B.S. degree in Game Development from Full Sail.

Quickly entering the industry, he spent a year working on his first credited title Daxter which quickly became the best selling PSP game to date. Dave moved from the game play team to the engine team where he works on the next engine for a future title. In his spare time outside of work he develops his own 3d engine and contributes to different 3d graphic forums.

[Edited by - ph33r on May 25, 2006 12:11:40 PM]
Advertisement
I suppose that if I want to be a tutor, I have to own the book, right? (sounds rather logical)
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
I suppose that if I want to be a tutor, I have to own the book, right? (sounds rather logical)

I'd prefer to see knowledgable guys like you tutor in parallel using another book than a "newcomer" using the book. No disrespect to anyone intended.

Anyway, most books cover the same topics in different ways, so it could always be helpful for really dedicated learners to say, have two tutors using different sources?
Richard J. Hughes

Richard has been programming since the age of 8. He started with basic web pages using markups such as HTML and XHTML. He then moved on to &#106avascript only a few months later. During his early teenage years, he learned and refined his skills in both C and C++. For the past 8 years, Richard has created numerous applications, games and engines in the C++ language using various APIs such as the DirectX API set, OpenGL, FMOD and many more. His engines have included many different features, such as full plug-in support for all API's, fileformats and gameplay, fully customizable scripting systems, revamped standard libraries and 2D/3D support. Over the more recent years, he has ventured into professional game code by creating 'mods' for games like Half Life and Half Life 2. Now working at MBR IT Solutions Ltd., Richard has a professional background and a professional 'take' on programming.

In his spare time, Richard is the lead programmer for Blackwater Software working on a 3D multiplayer Action/Adventure RPG using the Torque Game Engine, heading a team of 4 programmers.

He is currently studying at the Open University where he is working towards a BA/BSc Computing and Mathematical Sciences. This will last around 5/6 years. Last year, Richard graduated from Northampton College where he studied a BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners (Software Development) with the final grade of DDM (equivalent to ABB at A-Level).

[Edited by - rpg_code_master on May 29, 2006 1:06:02 PM]

[Edited by - taby on November 16, 2007 12:51:46 PM]
Hey all,

David lovegrove
David Lovegrove has taught himself C and C++ from scratch as a hobby for 5 years. He was the only student in GCSE Computing and A-Level Computing to program something in a low-level language.

David has just completely is 3rd of 4 years at university where he is studying Computing For Real Time Systems. This course presented a C++ module, for which he proved to be the strongest in his class. David also trained to become a PAL (Peer Assisted Learning) leader for the 1st and 2nd year C++ students.

David Lovegrove has also taught himself a solid knowledge of the DirectX API from scratch for the past 3 years and endeavours to help fellow programmers on these boards with it alongside Native C++.

Other language experience:

- Pascal
- C
- C#
- PHP
- MySQL
- &#106avascript<br>- JSP<br>- Java<br>- Basic<br><br>Dave
Have you stopped accepting tutors?

Anthony Casteel (Deyja)
Anthony was first exposed to Basic at 10 when he discovered BASICA on his family's IBM PS/1. Several years later he began modding for the game Jedi Knight, using it's C-like language COG. He moved directly from modding into Java, and then into C++ in 1998. In his senior year of highschool, he taught his own Programming II class for three weeks while the teacher was on vacation. After graduating, he was accepted to Digipen in Redmond Washington, but couldn't get federal grants because Digipen failed it's accreditation, and has since gotten caught in an entirely unrelated career.
No,

We've not stopped accepting tutors, as help is always appreciated. But at this point it takes more to be a "tutor" than simply posting an application in this thread, it requires weeks of posting on the C++ Workshop forum to demonstrate both your expertise of the area, and also your willingness to see the project to the end.

Too many people volunteer their time only to have their name shown in lights in time for them to make their exits or extended leave of absence.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Ah. I was under the impression that you had to be a listed tutor to actually be allowed to post in that capacity. Is there then any purpose to the 'official' tutors beyond your endorsement of their answers?

Quote:Additionally, the existing tutors of the workshop will be paying attention to the responses given by the general community. If we see people consistently posting in a manner we view as evidence of mastery, we’ll let you know and ask you to post a bio.

I read this of course, but interpretted 'general community' as 'everywhere but here'. :)
I hope it isn't too late to become a tutor. Well, here goes...

Christian L. Snodgrass
Christian began programming at the age of 9 with QBASIC. Shortly after that, he moved onto learning and creating web sites with HTML. Began using &#106avascript as well as other server side programming languages, primarily PHP and ASP. At the age of 13, as a freshman in high school, he began learning C++ with the book "Sams Teach Yourself C++ 21 Days (Third Edition)". Shortly after that, also began learning Java while keeping up with the ever evolving standards of web design. Won 1st in Region for both as C++ and Java, and 2nd and 3rd place at the state level in a programming competition. Now 19, he is currently enrolled in his 2nd year of college at Eastern Kentucky University, seeking a dual major in both Computer Science and Mathematics.

-----
Edit: 08/24/06

Well, looks like it is too late to become a tutor, but I still plan on sticking around and helping when I can. This is a great workshop and I've recommended (well, maybe "forced" is a better word) to some people I work with that they should go through this.

[Edited by - samanime on August 24, 2006 12:54:26 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement