Sign in to follow this  
Mae

Beginner says hello and help

Mae    122
Hi, first i would like to introduce myself. My name is Merlyn, people call me Mae, I am Indonesian-Chinese lady living currently in Shanghai. Right now i am studying 3D animation in the local university (Jiao Tong University). My instructors use Chinese as their instruction language. And my Chinese is bad. So i try as hard as i could to understand or just figure it out by myself. Now is my 3rd week of study and we are using Maya and Flash and Photoshop at the moment. The subject changes from time to time to more advanced ones. We also draw with hand, to understand the human body structure and color and so on. My background, I cannot say anything else except I cannot live without games. I have been playing computer game since i was 9 years old until now (25), and i also draw Japan Manga on my own since i was 9.I just love all of this and i put my life in it. I really want to be a Game Designer. I have great passion for computer games. Before my 3D animation course started, i can play up to 10 hours a day.I play PS 2 too, but not as often as computer games. The genre that i play are : adventure (mastered), RPG, MMORPG, and simulation. I really hope somebody can lead me to the right direction, what should i do to become a game designer? Does mastering Maya, 3D Max, Flash and Photoshop without knowing any C++ is enough? Is the ability to draw Manga will be of any help? The 3D animation major i took is going to be 1 year only. Is that enough? I always thought that technical is not so important, but the talent, ideas and creativity is the one that makes me one step further than my classmates. Am i wrong? I am sorry if my english is not so perfect, and thank you for the replies. :D [Edited by - Mae on May 19, 2006 7:13:28 AM]

yaustar    1022
The best advice I can give from my limited experience is to get your hands dirty. Programming knowledge is not required, all you need are the tools to make games. Some areas you cant try:

* Use Flash to create small (or large) games for online play
* Use a program like Games Factory, RPG Maker, Game Maker etc to create games with little or no programming knowledge. A bit like Click and Play.
* Mod an existing engine/game such as Half Life, Quake, Unreal.
* Design levels for existing games.

Good luck.

It might be worthwhile to search around the area of game design documents as well to see current examples.

gan    166
Quote:

I really hope somebody can lead me to the right direction, what should i do to become a game designer? :D

For a novice guy like me, TO be a game designer is programmming,playing games,programmming,playing games,programmming+playing games,.....
Quote:

Does mastering Maya, 3D Max, Flash and Photoshop without knowing any C++ is enough?
:D

Do u wanna be an animator or game programmer? Both also important, but latter need strong C++ background. An animator need to write scripts also, like MAXscript, Maya's MEL
[quote]

p/s: Do what u like; Like what u do

Mae    122
Gan : I want to be a game animator, i dont think my brain and patience can stand to live with programming. I like it more into art. i have thousands of ideas in art, and 3D modelling, but zero in programming.

superpig    1825
Quote:
Original post by Mae
I really hope somebody can lead me to the right direction, what should i do to become a game designer?
I'm going to be slightly careful here, because of the language barrier. Do you mean:

• Game Designer, as in the person who comes up with the idea for the game and directs the rest of the team on what it should be like, decides which levels should be which and where the powerups should be inside them, and decides how many hit points the enemies should have?

or

• Game Developer, as in a person who makes games for a living, but is perhaps not in charge of coming up with the game ideas?

Lots of people mistake one for the other. Based on what you've said about your interest in art, I'm wondering if perhaps your goal is to be a game artist, and not a designer?

Quote:
Does mastering Maya, 3D Max, Flash and Photoshop without knowing any C++ is enough?
If you want to be an artist, that's fine. If you want to be a designer... they're all helpful, but the important skills are less mastering particular applications and more a deep understanding of how gameplay works and how to make it fun.

Quote:
Is the ability to draw Manga will be of any help?
Probably. The ability to draw pretty much anything will be helpful; if you're trying to work with someone to get them to understand how something should look, it's always better to draw them a picture than to try and describe it in words.

Quote:
The 3D animation major i took is going to be 1 year only. Is that enough? I always thought that technical is not so important, but the talent, ideas and creativity is the one that makes me one step further than my classmates. Am i wrong?
(Assuming you're an artist...) In the eyes of game studios, the thing that will make you stand out above your classmates will be your showreel or portfolio - sample pieces of your work. I don't know any studio that would employ someone who had a degree but no showreel, and I know plenty who have employed people with no degree but a fantastic showreel. If the 1-year course helps you improve the quality of your work, then it's enough.

You probably already have some manga you could show off, and you'll probably create some pieces during your course; it would also be a good idea to get involved in some projects on the internet and create some artwork for them, too, because artwork that's actually being used in a game is a little more impressive than artwork that's not been "tested", as it were. I remember asking someone to create a Pacman model for me once, and he gave me something with 20,000 polygons in - far too many for a real-world project.

Quote:
I am sorry if my english is not so perfect, and thank you for the replies.
:D
Actually, it seems pretty good. I've certainly seen worse. [smile]

Mae    122
Superpig : okay, I think i have to research more and make a good decision on what i want to become so i know which direction i should step my foot in. I am thinking in my head : I can create stories for the game (just like i create stories for my manga) (i like it- since i can decide who dies and who's not), at least i think i know some about game history (from my 16 years of playing computer game), gameplay, game features and humor+ fun in computer games.

And one question.. What is the difference between game artist and game developer?
I mean if i work for the game studio even as an animator, which means i help on the making of the game project as a living (i earn my money from it). Isnt that too, can be considered as game developer?(Since you said a game developer is people who make game for a living)

I am also thinking..a game designer'job..is it more of a higher position than game artist? Like you need years of experience to become one.

Maybe i will start as a game artist/animator first, then after my knowledge of the gaming industry expands, i will reconsider my path.

Thanks for the info, you really educate me.

[Edited by - Mae on May 20, 2006 8:30:56 AM]

superpig    1825
Quote:
Original post by Mae
And one question.. What is the difference between game artist and game developer?

A game artist /is/ a game developer - it's like a subclass. Game programmers, game artists, game designers, game testers, game animators - all these folks are game developers.

Quote:

Isnt that too, can be considered as game developer?(Since you said a game developer is people who make game for a living)
Yup, absolutely.

Quote:
I am also thinking..a game designer'job..is it more of a higher position than game artist? Like you need years of experience to become one.
I'd say it's probably harder to get, yes. It's also the one area that doesn't really have very much carryover to other industries; programmers can go work in business software, and artists can go work in film or graphic design, but designers can't really apply their key skills to anything else (beyond things like communication).

Quote:
Maybe i will start as a game artist first, then after my knowledge of the gaming industry expands, i will reconsider my path.
Sure, that's reasonable. Many designers have moved into it from art or QA (or even programming). The important thing to start with is that you get your name onto at least 5 commercial games, and start building contacts in the industry; the more work you do in games, the easier it becomes to pick and choose the work you want to do.