Sign in to follow this  
TFS_Waldo

[.net] SQL Server 2005 Express and Remote Connections (TCP/IP)?

Okay, this is a simple one. But I wanted to ask, as I don't have any means of testing it right now. I don't have the internet hooked up to my computer yet. =P Well, I have VS .NET 2005 Pro and SQL Server 2005 Express. The server name is default, SQLEXPRESS. And I have no problems whatsoever connecting to it on the local machine. But, if I enable the TCP/IP protocol, how can someone else (using a client app. I write) access the server, to read a database? I know when you create the Connection String for the 'SqlConnection' object you do "DataSource=.\\SQLEXPRESS;etc." for a local connection. But would you simply put "DataSource=127.0.0.1\\SQLEXPRESS", for example? Or is there some other way you have to do it? Thanks in advance, Matt U.

From ConnectionStrings.com

Quote:

Standard Security:

"Data Source=Aron1;Initial Catalog=pubs;User Id=sa;Password=asdasd;"
- or -
"Server=Aron1;Database=pubs;User ID=sa;Password=asdasd;Trusted_Connection=False"
(both connection strings produces the same result)

Trusted Connection:

"Data Source=Aron1;Initial Catalog=pubs;Integrated Security=SSPI;"
- or -
"Server=Aron1;Database=pubs;Trusted_Connection=True;"
(both connection strings produces the same result)

(use serverName\instanceName as Data Source to use an specifik SQLServer instance)

Connect via an IP address:
"Data Source=190.190.200.100,1433;Network Library=DBMSSOCN;Initial Catalog=pubs;User ID=sa;Password=asdasd;"
(DBMSSOCN=TCP/IP instead of Named Pipes, at the end of the Data Source is the port to use (1433 is the default))