Sign in to follow this  
storage

Idea - Graphics instructions to second core on dual-core setups?

I've been waiting for the new MacBook for quite a while now, and I was a little disappointed (not much at all, just a little) by the Intel GMA950 integrated graphics. So I started thinking if there was any way to use the second core of it's Core Duo processor for some of the graphics calculations, sort of like how Havok and NVIDIA are going to use one of the graphics cards in SLI configurations for physics calculations (if I've understood it correct). The shaders should be left to the GMA950, since it supports (only) Pixel Shader 2.0, but they would probably still be really slow. One thing I thought about was "rewriting" some of the the OpenGL functions, so they are calculated on the CPU instead of the GPU. I might just be talking sh*t, but I thought it was worth a post. Intel GMA950 overview. Please discuss :). Thanks!

Modern graphics card drivers already use the second core for all driver level calculations.

I think it's not worth trying to optimize rendering in that way without access to the driver source and hardware documentation.