Camera System for 3rd person RPG

Started by
10 comments, last by Ludi83 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I'm currently trying to implement a third person camera for my team based multiplayer RPG. Well, it's not completly true, we switched the game engine therefor I need to rewrite my old camera code. The reason I post this in the Game Design Forum is I want to know how to handle the camera and where to position it. My old design was this: I used W/A/S/D for movement and Q/E for rotation of the character and the cursor keys for camera movement and the normal mouse input for the GUI. And the camera was placed directly behind the character and center of the screen was around the characters head (like the 3rd person camera in KotoR, I don't like this semi-isometric-behind camera style I've seen in some games and I hate those click-and-move RPGs (except Diablo2 ;)). I don't like my approach, because I need 6 keys for character movement. Now finally, my question: How do other games, like WoW handle their camera/player, or do you have good ideas for a good playermovement/camera solution? Or how can I improve my camera or player movement. Edit: What's wrong with the gamedev servers? To much new users here or some DOS attacks? [Edited by - Ludi83 on May 19, 2006 3:24:10 PM]
Advertisement
I think WoW uses WSAD for movement, and then using the mouse with LMB pressed to steer the orbit-cam or RMB to turn the character to look away from tha camera.
Okay, thanks for the info, I talked to another person who's playing WoW and now I understand how they handle the camera.

Has anyone else good ideas or better ideas how to handle the camera? Otherwise I'll use the WoW system :)
Check out Spartan:total warrior and do it exactly the opsite.

Your view should NEVER not allow you to see where you are moving toward. If you make a level that is tight and twisty lock the camera on an over head down view so I don't have to worry about it getting stuck. A lower angle so you can see farther in front of you would be nice.

Maybe you can tell I hate bad camera work.
Quote:Original post by Torvald
Your view should NEVER not allow ..

Hey, that's double negation, don't confuse me please ;)

I've never played Total Warrior, but I understand what you mean. My camera points always to the direction the player is watching/walking. The point about small areas/dungeons is good, I'll think about it.

But I'm currently really happy with the WoW approach to use the rmb to rotate the character and watch up and down. It works better than I thought.
I would support gamedevices, ie the xbox gamepad (where you have 2 analog sticks), one for movement, the other for rotation.
Insufficent Information: we need more infromationhttp://staff.samods.org/aiursrage2k/
I once had the same problem you're describing. I'd suggest you use WASD for movement and mouselook for look - play an FPS like Counterstrike to get the gist of it, or better yet Star Wars Jedi Knight III.
::FDL::The world will never be the same
Quote:Original post by Nytehauq
I once had the same problem you're describing. I'd suggest you use WASD for movement and mouselook for look - play an FPS like Counterstrike to get the gist of it, or better yet Star Wars Jedi Knight III.

Yes, mouselook is the best approach for me and it works really good. I actually don't know why I hadn't this idea on my own when I wrote my first camera class.

Thx for your input :)
Quote:Original post by Nytehauq

Yes, mouselook is the best approach for me and it works really good. I actually don't know why I hadn't this idea on my own when I wrote my first camera class.

Thx for your input :)
Have you never player one of the Gothic(tm) series? ;)

Movement with WASD (or similar) and look around with the mouse. Plays very well :-)
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement