Sign in to follow this  
Cybrosys

[.net] .Net 2005 Inheriting ListView problems

Okay, i don't know what's wrong but i destinctly remembered being able to create a custom control that inherited for example ListView. When i try to pick one of the inherited options in add a new item all i get is to inherit it from a dll or a form that's already in the project. How can i create a class that inherits the ListView without having to create the class manually since that's only a work-around. :/ [Edited by - Cybrosys on May 19, 2006 4:51:10 PM]

Ok.. I am not sure I am reading this right so can you clarify. Are you trying to instanciate a custom Listview control that you want to manually set the properties of or are you trying to create a Custom Control Listview Class that is inherited from ListView?

theTroll

If you want to add functionality then you have to make your own class that inherits from ListView.

class CustomListView : ListView
{
public void myCustomFunction()
{
//...
}

}

That should do it for you.

theTroll

Quote:
Original post by Cybrosys
When i inherit, the class stops being a User control and becomes a Component and i lose the ability to add it to a form from the toolbox.

But you *can* add Components to a form. For example, the Tooltip class inherits from Component.

That being said, I've always thought the tool box was a bit erratic in what it picked up from your own controls and offered for use. For example, if the project containing your custom control/form is under a solution folder, it won't show up in the tool box at all.

What I usually do when inheriting standard controls is just start out with a UserControl, then changing it in the code to inherit from the control I want.