Sign in to follow this  
GekkoCube

[web] criticize my personal website.

Well, your particular site has what www.webpagesthatsuck.com has called Mystery Meat Navigation, meaning that one needs to hover over the images to know what in the world they are about. This is the pitfall of javascript and equivalents. It can be made useful (see: AJAX), but otherwise you run the risk of just using it as a gimmick.

Also, don't link directly to videos without telling the user that 1) It is a video file, and 2) What size it is. Also, you may prefer a more widely supported format than wmv because I'm not sure that a lot of linux/mac users will be able to view wmv files (Yes, I am aware of ffmpeg and WMP for Mac).

I would also avoid frames like the plague. They make navigation a pain (like creating bookmarks) and they make it harder for search engines to index your content.

Finally, It plain does not work in IE6 on XP SP2. [edit] It does work (more or less, video problems notwithstanding) with Opera 9 on the same platform. I haven't tried Firefox, but aparently it has problems there too (as JBourrie has mentioned). [/edit]

jfl.

It may not be problems with FireFox, but if not then it is just very clunky.

When I click an image, it opens media player in a seperate window while the frame on the webpage just turns white. If this is what it's supposed to do, at least embed the video into the page.

Also, the box below the images where the text appears is ugly.

I have absolutely no idea from looking at the front page WHAT your service is. It doesn't help that your tagline contains the word "stuff" and has a line break at the most inopportune place.

Finally, Untitled Document isn't a terribly descriptive name of the page (see upper left corner of browser).

Anyway, some of these (like the embedded video) may just be a Firefox thing, but if they're not then the page needs alot of work before it looks professional.

thanks ya'l.

im using mozilla firefox 1.5.0.3 (without any problems that im aware of).
i was going for a simplistic look and feel.

anyway, don't many (if not most) websites use frames???

i guess this is going back to the drawing board...

- no frames
- better support for IE
- better support for firefox
- remove "mystery meat navigation"
- provide user feedback for links/videos...etc.

Quote:

anyway, don't many (if not most) websites use frames???

The ones designed in the 90s when frames came out do. I don't know of any professional web sites that use frames since, well, they suck.

your site doesnt work at all for me in firefox.

I click one of the images, then nothing happens, it sits for a few minutes then gives up and tells me its done.

Ah, I just found out why, I had winamp open playing some internet radio, you just killed winamp and tied to play one of your stupid videos. (my system tries to open wmvs in winamp, which cant play them, but thats another issue)

Please dont ever try opening a video on my system without my permission. Your site is as bad as those warez sites that bombard you with popups and spyware.

Im off to get my internet radio back, I just missed a good song because of you

[/end rant]