Dev C++ - VS 2005

Started by
8 comments, last by bballmitch 17 years, 11 months ago
I've had Dev C++ for a year now. Yesterday I installed VS 2005. Now, all of a sudden, when I open one of my previous projects with Dev C++, it won't build or compile. I get HUNDREDS of errors like: 37 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\string.h expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before "int" 37 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\string.h expected `,' or `;' before "int" 49 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\string.h `_CRTIMP' does not name a type 178 C:\Dev-Cpp\include\string.h expected `,' or `;' before "wchar_t" Its really annoying me. All I want is to be able to compile the projects that I was working on two days ago on Dev C++. I haven't changed the project options at all, or any of the code in almost a week. Can someone help me out?
Mitchen Games
Advertisement
Error is probably somewhere before that line. It went unnoticed and now it broke compilation for other files.

Maybe if you post full error info...we could assist you more.
So... Muira Yoshimoto sliced off his head, walked 8 miles, and defeated a Mongolian horde... by beating them with his head?

Documentation? "We are writing games, we don't have to document anything".
I would, but there's over 100. The last error says:

[General Error] Too many messages; abort.
There must be something terribly wrong with your code. Please fix it.

I don't get whats wrong. When I try to JUST compile ONE of the .h files, i get this error:

C:\Documents and Settings\mitchell\Desktop\Everything Game\Makefile.win [Build Error] No rule to make target `../../../../Dev-Cpp/include/FPshooter.o'. Stop.

When I compile ANY ONE of the .cpp files, it gets the first error that I posted (the first error in this post). I hope this is enough information, cause I really don't have much more. This has never really happened to me. When I compile, i get the same type of problem as when two .h files are dependent on each other to compile and therefore the process of compilation is an infinite loop. But that can't be the problem here. The REALLY weird thing is that I was able to compile this project just two days ago. Whats the deal?
Mitchen Games
I had a similar issue when I installed the express edition of vs 2005. I would guess that there is a problem in your include file library, I know the vs headers use different commands in header files. You could try to re-install Dev-Cpp in a different folder path that your vs and it might fix the problem. Or you could try to get the include files off-line, I'm not sure if this is your problem, the first suggestion worked for me. Just make sure, if you do it, don't overwrite your first copy of Dev-Cpp if it has project files in it, and run Dev-Cpp from the new directory once installed. Hope this information helps.
Thanks. I got it to work now, but I still get one error and I'm not sure how to fix it:

[Linker error] undefined reference to `glutBitmapCharacter'

Mitchen Games
Quote:Original post by bballmitch
Thanks. I got it to work now, but I still get one error and I'm not sure how to fix it:

[Linker error] undefined reference to `glutBitmapCharacter'

Please. I need to fix this error.
Mitchen Games
You need to link with the glut library. Click Project -> Settings -> Link -> Object/Library Modules and add "glut32.lib" to the end.
-lopengl32
../../../../Dev-Cpp/lib/libglaux.a
../../../../Dev-Cpp/lib/libwinmm.a
-lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lwinmm -lgdi32
../../../../Dev-Cpp/lib/libglut32.a
../../../../Dev-Cpp/lib/libglut.a
../../../../Dev-Cpp/lib/glut32.lib

Those are all in my linker parameters. anymore ideas? I can't figure it out.
Mitchen Games
What is 'glutBitmapCharacter'? Is it a function name? Is it a class name? Is it an interface? Is it a global variable of some type?

If it is a class or function, is it templated?

Where is 'glutBitmapCharacter' referenced? Is it directly in your code? Is it in a function that your code calls? How deep is the reference to 'glutBitmapCharacter' nested?

These questions might help you on to the trail of figuring out what's going on.
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
What is 'glutBitmapCharacter'? Is it a function name? Is it a class name? Is it an interface? Is it a global variable of some type?

Its a function defined in glut.h

If it is a class or function, is it templated?

void drawString (const char *s)    //How to display text {  unsigned int i;   for (i = 0; i < strlen (s); i++)    glutBitmapCharacter (GLUT_BITMAP_TIMES_ROMAN_24, s);};

thats what the code looks like, so its not templated, but it doesn't need to be. BTW, the code compiled PERFECTLY three days ago before i installed VS 2005, but only now it doesn't. I haven't changed any project options or any code.

Mitchen Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement