Sign in to follow this  
psykr

overlays in direct3d9

psykr    295
I know DirectDraw is gone, has been for a while now, but I need to emulate some of it's functionality. I want to draw things onto the Windows desktop (and eventually replace the desktop), like in SphereXP. Unforunately, I can't find any information about how it works, and all related "render to desktop" threads I can find all refer to DirectDraw 7 in some form or other. I want to render something in Direct3D 9 to the desktop. How can I render an overlay surface? In the worst case scenario I would create DD7 and D3D9 devices and blit between them.

LomaxHong    100
Quote:
Original post by psykr
I know DirectDraw is gone, has been for a while now, but I need to emulate some of it's functionality. I want to draw things onto the Windows desktop (and eventually replace the desktop), like in SphereXP. Unforunately, I can't find any information about how it works, and all related "render to desktop" threads I can find all refer to DirectDraw 7 in some form or other. I want to render something in Direct3D 9 to the desktop.

How can I render an overlay surface? In the worst case scenario I would create DD7 and D3D9 devices and blit between them.

Enum destop window handle, create D3D device using this handle. successed?