Travelling Bard Idea

Started by
2 comments, last by skgstrm 17 years, 11 months ago
Alright! It's been awhile since I've posted on the gamedev forums, and... well, it's been much too long. Anyway, the last thing I made a post about was the following idea, kinda in its early stages. I've recently delved into it a bit more, creating a design doc (or atleast a partial one) and sketches and such.. So here we go.. There's a part of the game where you can play an instrument (not sure what kind, but thinking more of a guitar type thing) on street corners and make money/build a reputation. The way this works is, you choose a song you want to play, then the style. Each song will have 3 different versions; one for each style.. Fluid, Bounce, and Complex (all working-ideas). NPCs will walk in the player's vicinety, hear the music, and if the style is the style the NPC is currently in the mood for (which will be somewhat predictable by having certain places enjoy certain styles more than others, with a few NPCs enjoying the other two, but they'll be minorities) they'll stop and show their enjoyment through dance or some other visible sign. Next, the NPCs all have a sort of randomized list of songs that are ranked from favorite to least favorite. Depending on the ranking of the song, the player will get tossed a certain amount of money with a random variable making sure the amounts vary a wee bit. So what do you think? Is it a good system? What needs to be fixed? All constructive criticism is accepted and appreciated. I've got some variations on the idea, but I'm really tired and can't remember them and I'm feelin' a little too lazy to find my notebook at the moment... so yeah.
_______________________Dancing Monkey Studios
Advertisement
so, basically, in terms of gameplay, what I, as a player, will get to do is,
A choose location from list
B choose song from list
C choose style from list
D collect cash if earned

wash rince and repeat?

You REALLY mean that you intend to do a complete game around three clics? No matter how much glitter and story you put in the background, it will remain a three-clic gameplay,a dn won't be very successful, in my opinion.

If you were to have a little more interactivity, like with Donkey Konga, or something, where you have to actually PLAY the istrument, it might be successful. And I can give you a possibility easily created...

STEELDRUM!!!!!

Simulate steeldrum playing with the numberpad alone, and you've got something to do which comes close to reality, while remaining easier.

Other than that, it's just three clicks...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
I guess I forgot to throw in there that this isn't the main point of the game at all. It's gonna be an Action/Adventure title with puzzle solving, fighting, exploration and so-on. The musical feature is more of a mini-game and a way to make money, with a few objectives that use the technique (like a pied(sp?) piper objective where you rid a village of their rats by leading them out by song).
_______________________Dancing Monkey Studios
Quote:Original post by Fournicolas
so, basically, in terms of gameplay, what I, as a player, will get to do is,
A choose location from list
B choose song from list
C choose style from list
D collect cash if earned

wash rince and repeat?

You REALLY mean that you intend to do a complete game around three clics? No matter how much glitter and story you put in the background, it will remain a three-clic gameplay,a dn won't be very successful, in my opinion.

If you were to have a little more interactivity, like with Donkey Konga, or something, where you have to actually PLAY the istrument, it might be successful. And I can give you a possibility easily created...

STEELDRUM!!!!!

Simulate steeldrum playing with the numberpad alone, and you've got something to do which comes close to reality, while remaining easier.

Other than that, it's just three clicks...

That could actually be fun a sort of RPG/Dance Dance Revolution game :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement