Refresh rate vs. frame rate

Started by
9 comments, last by rohde 17 years, 11 months ago
What's the differences between the *refresh rate* and *frame rate*?
Advertisement
i think that frame rate is the number of times a second the application writes to the display buffer, and refresh rate is how often your monitor redraws (a monitor with a low refresh rate flickers).

may be wrong, so an expert opionion would be great...
Framerate is how many frames the computer or application puts out per second, refresh rate is how often the monitor updates the screen. I think, anybody feel free to correct me if i'm wrong i'd like to knowit lol.
Good news winegum either were both right, or both wrong lol.
I wanna know taht the "display buufer" is a part of "RAM" or "Video memory"?

The refresh rate is how many times per second you screen refreshes the display.

The frame rate is how many times per second your program are able to update the framebuffer.

When doing game programming/animation you need to take both into consideration. Most computer monitors are able to a refresh rate of 60Hz (many much higher). So if you're able to do a frame rate of 60 you're all good; but if you're scene becomes too complicated and you can't draw it all in 1/60th of a second your frame rate suddenly drops to 30 since the video refresh rate is constant. If you continue to add more features, and you then miss the 1/30th update you get a frame rate of 20 and so on.

Normally you will want to avoid irregular fram rates as they can be quite annoying.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Quote:Original post by ehsan2004

The display buffer sits in VRAM
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
In my graphics monitor, the frequency is 85Hz. the frame rate reported by FRAPS in a game is about 60Fps. Does it mean that the frame rate limits the refresh rate of my monitor?
In my graphics monitor, the frequency is 85Hz. the frame rate reported by FRAPS in a game is about 60Fps. Does it mean that the frame rate limits the refresh rate of my monitor?

No, your screen still refreshes 85 times per second. But your game in question is too complex to attain a frame rate higher than 60. This is not a problem; it's quite normal. It simply means that about two out of three screen refreshes uses the same frame buffer.
Quote:Original post by rohde

The display buffer sits in VRAM

It mustn't the display buffer is only a buffer and can sit everywhere.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement