.dds in OpenGL

Started by
8 comments, last by Basiror 17 years, 11 months ago
I have a lot of .dds files that I would like to use in my game. I don't know how though. Can they be converted to something like .3ds? How do I use .dds files? For that matter, I'm not sure I know exactly what a .dds file is. All I know is that a someone made a model for me and it came out in .dds format and I'm not sure how to use it. Some input would be great. :)
Mitchen Games
Advertisement
dds is a compressed bitmap format, usig a program like XnView you can convert it to a .jpg , .bmp, .png or something else.
.dds is not a model format, it is used for textures.

DDS Texture Loader
DDS infact stands for Direct Draw Surface, but is as Kambiz says a texture format.

It can hold compressed or uncompressed images, including all mipmap levels, cube maps and volume textures. Its a pretty flexible wee beasty [smile]

You've no real reason to convert it as OGL can deal with the compressed textures directly, you just have to load them in and understand them.

My own GTL lib can infact do just that.
(and hopefull ynext week a new version should escape my machine, I've been a bit tied up with college work of late to get it out the door).
use:
OpenIL or DevIL;
http://openil.sourceforge.net/
So can .dds textures be animated textures? If so, then what other file formats can I convert it to to keep that animation? i.e. if I convert it to a .bmp or JPEG (Which i can), will it still be an animated texture?
Mitchen Games
A dds can't hold animated textures, sorry - unless you arew thinking in a clever way of using the different planes of a volume texture as keyframes? (that is a pretty sweet idea, if I say so myself [smile])

For more information, look here .
and finally, if I wan't an animated texture, usually what file format are they in? If there are multiple, please name a few.
Mitchen Games
huh?Animated texture: Animated gif :D, but you cant use animated gif :D
Try use 'sprite' .
Quote:Original post by brkydn123
use:
OpenIL or DevIL;
http://openil.sourceforge.net/

And not learn anything in the process? Why is there always this knee jerk response to use some library to do everything? Its all well and good to use one if you know how the stuff works and you don't want to be bothered with it. But the OP obviously doesn't have a firm grasp of how textures work and he never will by just masking all the work into a couple of function calls.

If you don't care so much for all the extra stuff added into a dds you could always convert it to tga.

Quote:Original post by phantom
DDS infact stands for Direct Draw Surface, but is as Kambiz says a texture format.

It can hold compressed or uncompressed images, including all mipmap levels, cube maps and volume textures. Its a pretty flexible wee beasty [smile]

You've no real reason to convert it as OGL can deal with the compressed textures directly, you just have to load them in and understand them.

My own GTL lib can infact do just that.
(and hopefull ynext week a new version should escape my machine, I've been a bit tied up with college work of late to get it out the door).

Good to know, I just wanted to start writing a loader for .dds file, this saves a lot of work

thx
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement