• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity C++ cgi and Sessions

This topic is 4293 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

<introduction> Hello, as I was stuck with a hard question, I asked my friend if he can help me tackle down the problem. He seemed to be too busy this weekend, however encouraged me to come to this website. So, I'd like to say a little hello to the community before I post my first post. </introduction> I was wondering if there is an existing library for generating session ID's for C++ based web appliations that will be stored in a cache. ( Planning to use for a shopping cart and membership support. ) Why don't I use cookies? With the visitor's information saved on the server's cache, we can collect and manipulate data. After some kind of research. Looks like I can manage sessions through the post and get methods. (URL and FORM SUBMITIONS) xxx.cgi?id=12We4dg2K9 with the ID number created with a random 10-12 digit alpha-numeric value. The only problem to this general solution is that my cgi program uses iframes, and I don't know how I can make my iframes communicate with each other without using cookies. I guess the solution for this would be to somehow send information from the main iframe window to the server in intervals. and other iframe windows will receive information from the server in runtime without refreshing the page ( something like AJAX technologies I guess.. ) and as far as security goes, i'm not sure if post and get methods of sessioning is secure, nor do I know how to make it secure. If anybody can send me to the right direction. Thank you very much! Any kind of related links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a whole bunch once again.

Advertisement
I'm not sure if there is a library for that, but I would say even if there is something, it will turn out to be part of a much bigger system. With sessioning, you will probably have to store the ID in some DB table (especially if you're planning on persisting it over several weeks). You can store the session ID in a cookie and then lookup all the other stuff you want from the DB, given that session ID.

Make sure, however, that anytime something that requires security is done (access to account settings, making a purchase, etc.), you require authentication by password (even if it's set to remember them on that computer or whatever - ALWAYS always require authentication when doing something secure).

I guess I'm kinda rambling. If your main interest is more in setting up some store and selling goods on a site you maintain (as opposed to learning the technical side of things), I would recommend you go with a commercially available solution, because this is a MUCH more difficult problem to solve than you probably imagine, and I've seen some ass-backwards systems online that I don't know why people trust. Just be careful :-).

Currently the program can do this assuming that the cookies are set as off on the client side.
1) on the first page, if there is no unique-id set, then the program creates a unique id for the visitor.
2) there will be a &id=10-digit-unique-id (a tracker) attached to every single link.
3) however, when back is pressed all the way back to the 1st page... the id is reset, yet my computer is left with that unique id still saved in the cache. ( useless information is stored on the computer )
Can I do anything about this without cookies? I can't think of any...

But when assuming that cookies are on, once the unique-id is marked, the unique id can be used throughout the whole session even when the visitor revisits the unique-id initialization page.

Another concern is bookmarks. What do I do for bookmarks?
Let's assume that a 10-digit-unique-id is created on march 5th 2005. and this page has been bookmarked. a year later, today. Somebody has coincidently recieved the same unique id. On the same day, coincidently, the user who has bookmarked the page just happened to use the bookmark again. Then two people will be manipulating the session file, thus bringing unwanted results.
One way I have thought was to record the user's ip address in the session file so that only the person with matching ip address stored in that session-id can manipulate the new data.

[moderators, can you please relocate this post to the web development section please?]

If you need a globally unique ID... use a guid.

Guids are 128 bits, and they really tend to be unique.

Toss the GUID through a hashing function (so people can't log into other people's sessions trivially).

One case-sensative alpha-numeric character is ~5.95 bits of data. So 22 case-sensative alpha-numeric characters can represent a guid.

And why don't you use cookies?

If you cannot modify the cache code to include the cookies the client sends to you, simply set an identical cookie and session ID in the URL. Repeatedly check in your CGI code that both the cookie and the session ID match (if they do not I'd be tempted to simply boot the user with an error message, or clear the cookie and the session ID and ask them to log in again.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By bryandalo
      Good day,

I just wanted to share our casual game that is available for android.

Description: Fight your way from the ravenous plant monster for survival through flips. The rules are simple, drag and release your phone screen. Improve your skills and show it to your friends with the games quirky ranks. Select an array of characters using the orb you acquire throughout the game.

Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HellmodeGames.FlipEscape&hl=en

Trailer: 

• By Manuel Berger
      Hello fellow devs!
      Once again I started working on an 2D adventure game and right now I'm doing the character-movement/animation. I'm not a big math guy and I was happy about my solution, but soon I realized that it's flawed.
      My player has 5 walking-animations, mirrored for the left side: up, upright, right, downright, down. With the atan2 function I get the angle between player and destination. To get an index from 0 to 4, I divide PI by 5 and see how many times it goes into the player-destination angle.

In Pseudo-Code:
      angle = atan2(destination.x - player.x, destination.y - player.y) //swapped y and x to get mirrored angle around the y axis
      index = (int) (angle / (PI / 5));
      PlayAnimation(index); //0 = up, 1 = up_right, 2 = right, 3 = down_right, 4 = down

Besides the fact that when angle is equal to PI it produces an index of 5, this works like a charm. Or at least I thought so at first. When I tested it, I realized that the up and down animation is playing more often than the others, which is pretty logical, since they have double the angle.

What I'm trying to achieve is something like this, but with equal angles, so that up and down has the same range as all other directions.

I can't get my head around it. Any suggestions? Is the whole approach doomed?

Thank you in advance for any input!

• By khawk
      Watch the latest from Unity.

• By GytisDev
      Hello,
      without going into any details I am looking for any articles or blogs or advice about city building and RTS games in general. I tried to search for these on my own, but would like to see your input also. I want to make a very simple version of a game like Banished or Kingdoms and Castles,  where I would be able to place like two types of buildings, make farms and cut trees for resources while controlling a single worker. I have some problem understanding how these games works in the back-end: how various data can be stored about the map and objects, how grids works, implementing work system (like a little cube (human) walks to a tree and cuts it) and so on. I am also pretty confident in my programming capabilities for such a game. Sorry if I make any mistakes, English is not my native language.
      Thank you in advance.
    • By Ovicior
      Hey,
      So I'm currently working on a rogue-like top-down game that features melee combat. Getting basic weapon stats like power, weight, and range is not a problem. I am, however, having a problem with coming up with a flexible and dynamic system to allow me to quickly create unique effects for the weapons. I want to essentially create a sort of API that is called when appropriate and gives whatever information is necessary (For example, I could opt to use methods called OnPlayerHit() or IfPlayerBleeding() to implement behavior for each weapon). The issue is, I've never actually made a system as flexible as this.
      My current idea is to make a base abstract weapon class, and then have calls to all the methods when appropriate in there (OnPlayerHit() would be called whenever the player's health is subtracted from, for example). This would involve creating a sub-class for every weapon type and overriding each method to make sure the behavior works appropriately. This does not feel very efficient or clean at all. I was thinking of using interfaces to allow for the implementation of whatever "event" is needed (such as having an interface for OnPlayerAttack(), which would force the creation of a method that is called whenever the player attacks something).

Here's a couple unique weapon ideas I have:
      Explosion sword: Create explosion in attack direction.
      Cold sword: Chance to freeze enemies when they are hit.
      Electric sword: On attack, electricity chains damage to nearby enemies.

I'm basically trying to create a sort of API that'll allow me to easily inherit from a base weapon class and add additional behaviors somehow. One thing to know is that I'm on Unity, and swapping the weapon object's weapon component whenever the weapon changes is not at all a good idea. I need some way to contain all this varying data in one Unity component that can contain a Weapon field to hold all this data. Any ideas?

I'm currently considering having a WeaponController class that can contain a Weapon class, which calls all the methods I use to create unique effects in the weapon (Such as OnPlayerAttack()) when appropriate.
  • Advertisement