• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you detect your collisions?

This topic is 6218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am writing a game and have come to the point where I need to improve the collision detection. Currently I am using axis aligned bounding boxes. My game is a top view 2d ''drive tanks around a maze'' game. Unfortunately, the AAB collision detection is noticeably bad for some rotations of the tanks. So, the questions... I have read about Oriented Bounding Box collision but does anyone actually use it? What methods do people use for collision detection for cases other than the basic ''is the bullet in the box'' case. On a similar line, what method was used for GTA/GTA2? Any ideas... Cheers, DeVore PS: Any code examples of OOB collision detection would be gratefully recieved.

Advertisement
First off, do a standard bounding box check. If that collides, then you can refine your check further using an orientated box, or a circle, or whatever fits best.

Also remember: Collision detection should not aim to be pixel-perfect, it should be playable.

• Advertisement