kgf-cm To Newtons

Started by
9 comments, last by grhodes_at_work 17 years, 10 months ago
How many Newtons are in 1 kilogram force per centimeter?
Advertisement
Newtons is a measure of force, so your question doesn't make much sense.

kg * mN = ------     s^2therefore,kg * N / cm= kg * kg * m / (s^2 * m * 100)= kg^2 / (s^2 * 100)= (kg / (10*s))^2= not Newtons
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Also your topic is "kgf-cm" which implies multiplication, typically a unit of torque.

In your post you have "kgf per cm" which is division which is a bit of an oddball unit that only really shows up in load distributions.

If you are asking how many newtons is equivalent to 1 kgf, then the answer is 9.80665 N.

Quote:Original post by CombatWombat
Also your topic is "kgf-cm" which implies multiplication, typically a unit of torque.

In your post you have "kgf per cm" which is division which is a bit of an oddball unit that only really shows up in load distributions.

If you are asking how many newtons is equivalent to 1 kgf, then the answer is 9.80665 N.

I'm assuming that 'kgf' is being interpreted as 'kilograms force'. If so, that is incorrect. There is no such thing as kilograms force, and it sounds like something being brought over from the imperial system, i.e. pounds force. Force, all force, is measured in Newtons. Kilograms are only for mass, not force and not weight (although often called that, it is wrong, because weight is a force). The number you present is 1 kg using the mean gravitational acceleration at the earths surface. It is *not* a metric unit of measure.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Actually, kgf-cm is in fact a unit of measure for torque, which is used in turntables. ;)
I have deja-vu. I seen this thread before. Or very similar one. I seen myself replying something like this...

Firstly, unit of torque is not force/distance but force*distance .
Not kgf per centimeter but kgf by centimeter (or "on" or how-you-write-this).
Not kgf [minus sign] cm but kgf [multiplication sign] cm

kgf is indeed an odd unit of force that is equal to 9.8 newtons (named so because it is the weight of 1kg on earth)
Centimeter is unit of distance that is equal to 0.01 meter
Putting it all together,
1 kgf * centimeter = 0.098 newton * meter
edit: for completeness,
10.2 kgf * centimeter = 1 newton * meter

newton*meter is also unit of torque.

(You can't "convert" newton*meter into newtons, obviously. You can find force in newton it has at certain radius from center, to do that divide by radius)
edit: then i seen Sneftel or other mod replying and explaining why people make "per" mistake. Unfortunately i can't find that thread
edit: didn't think it was same poster. [lol] . This is too funny

[Edited by - Dmytry on May 22, 2006 3:00:54 AM]
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
I have deja-vu.

I didnt know deja-vu was contageous, but I have it as well.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=354532
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=317826

Quote:Original post by CombatWombat
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
I have deja-vu.

I didnt know deja-vu was contageous, but I have it as well.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=354532
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=317826

holy shit, the third time with the exact same question? i susepct there might be more of these, because i remember replying to one of them once, and i didnt see that in your links.

maybe hes trying to perform some sort of periodic poll for the tolerance for noobish questions on the GDnet forums?
I had no idea I even made the same thread in the past. :p
Wow, didn't even know kgf was an actual unit..... just though he was meaning kg*N
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement