Plasma / Electricity / lightning weapons FX?

Started by
2 comments, last by haphazardlynamed 17 years, 11 months ago
can anyone point me to a tutorial or article on how to create an FX for weapons? I'm designing a number of different weapons for my spaceship game and I'm just starting to get my head around them. When creating a plasma ball kind of weapon, is it normal practice to attach a DX point light to mesh?
Advertisement
Think about using bilboards.
So what you are saying is that most special effects use bilboards?

Are there any editors or software that allows you to build special effects for games?
Quote:Original post by 00Kevin
can anyone point me to a tutorial or article on how to create an FX for weapons?

I'm designing a number of different weapons for my spaceship game and I'm just starting to get my head around them.

When creating a plasma ball kind of weapon, is it normal practice to attach a DX point light to mesh?

Depends how many plasma balls there are going to be, OpenGL has an 8light limit, so any more than that and you have to do ...hard stuff... to simulate having more if there are lots of plasma effects. I dunno what DX limits are.

Most electriciy effects I've seen are billboards with an animated lightning graphic on them, reapeated many times overlapping to look complex.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement