I am a beginner programmer who needs help

Started by
16 comments, last by gan 17 years, 11 months ago
I need to know what programs i need to start a simple c++ game. FYI: the for beginners section did not help!!!
##########################################################You'll have time to rest when you're dead - Robert De Niro
Advertisement
If you don't know what tools to use yet, then you will need to learn C++ before programming a game in it. To run C++ code you should get a compiler, today most people use IDEs, which is integrated development envirorments, they have a compiler, advanced text editor, debugger etc. Microsoft Visual Studio is generally considered the best IDE, it's only for Windows though, and the real version is very expensive. Visual C++ 8.0 Express is freely available from Microsoft. If you want to work with Win32 you'll need to download the platform SDK (step 4 at the link). You could instead download a more lightweight IDE like Dev-Cpp or Code::Blocks, personally I feel these aren't as good as Visual Studio especially the debugger, which you'll use for larger projects.

That is only for programming though in a real game project your artists will need tools, you'll need tools to make audio, you'll need a source control program etc. In your first game you aren't likely to use anything but the IDE though.
how big is the download for the SDK on a 56k connection?
##########################################################You'll have time to rest when you're dead - Robert De Niro
bxela1, to say it quickly, read what CTar had to say. He brought up alot of valid points and good references. Look around on Microsofts website for the basic tools you need to get started. Learn the language, make some textbased games, move on from there. It'll take a long time though, be prepared to spend alot of time on programming if you want to become any good at it.
Quote:Original post by bxela1
how big is the download for the SDK on a 56k connection?

You won't be able to download Visual C++ Express with a 56k connection I believe it's around 1 GB, but I don't remember the exact size.
The For Beginners forum does help, if you just give it time. So I'm moving this thread back there.
the SDK is about 400 mb I think, but a with a 56k connection it will still take a while.
Can i download the SDK as bittorent?
If you are in the process of learning the language you realy dont need VC++.
Code::Blocks with MingW compiler is fast, light weight and all you need to follow a book or write small projects.
Sure the MSVC++ package has a good debugger and a code completion that actually works, but it is huge (you will also have to upgrade to SP2 in order to use the platform SDK)

Since you are probably not going to make a state of the art, distribution ready game right away, you should realy consider downloading codeblocks or dev-c++ (Games like quake 2 has been developed on dev-c++) and use that for a few days until the MSVC++ download has finished.
Hey bud, if you want something small to download, go with Dev C++. http://www.bloodshed.net/

IMO, it seems a bit less imitating than VC++, so you might want to start with it. It's also pretty straight forward.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement