• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Basiror

OpenGL Generating high quality mipmaps

This topic is 4469 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I decided to create my own texture format for my engine. It will be very similar to uncompressed TGAs, however I want to store the mipmaps as well. I have writting some implementations with linear and bicubic interpolation to sample images down. My question is, do you know some more down sampling algorithms that procude higher quality images than bicubic interpolation? Till now I used gluMipMaps.... in OpenGL which as far as I know uses bicubic itplation. Any suggestions are welcome. cu

Advertisement
You'll probably find the following editions of Jonathan Blow's Inner Product column from Game Developer Magazine of interest:

http://www.number-none.com/product/Mipmapping,%20Part%201/index.html

http://www.number-none.com/product/Mipmapping,%20Part%202/index.html

BTW: the .DDS file format supports mip maps - although it started life as a DirectX technology, theres nothing inherent in the file format that would prevent you from using it with OpenGL or any other graphics technology. You can find the [basic] file format details in the DirectX SDK documentation.

I think I ll use dds instead. Luckily I wrote the whole texture loading interface in a manner that allows me to use different format types with the same texture code :)

Are you restricted to use the dds format with dx and only or can you use it commercially even on linux?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!