Sign in to follow this  
Halma

OpenGL OpenGL Culling going crazy

I've got a very strange problem with a game I'm making. When I enable backface culling, everything starts out looking OK. But sometimes, for some reason (or for no reason! ;)), the culling is reversed. I only enable culling in one location of my program, so it's not a situation with different functions messing up the culling state variables. Why on earth would this happen? I enable culling, set the culling to GL_BACK, set the front face to GL_CCW, and it still reverses itself and starts showing the opposite side of everything every once in a while.

If you are definately not changing the winding order yourself then the problem could lie with buggy old drivers [smile] Have you tried upgrading your graphics card drivers to the latest version?

You could also stick...
GLint i;
glGetIntegerv(GL_CULL_FACE_MODE, &i);
into your render function and slap a break point on it if the cull mode is gl_front (the same could be done for GL_FRONT_FACE). Then run through your program with the debugger attached.

All the best,
ViLiO

Quote:
Original post by Halma
When I enable backface culling, everything starts out looking OK. But sometimes, for some reason (or for no reason! ;)), the culling is reversed.

Some transformations will cause this, the most common one would be using a negative scale (for reflections and the like). If you're doing that you need to invert the culling for the reflection and put it back again afterwards.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think the problem is with drivers; I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6600, and my drivers are at worst, about a year old. Besides, I've seen my program do the same thing on at least one other computer.

I don't have any reflections, and I hardly have any scaling at all, so I don't think the problem is with negative scaling. In any case, I glPopMatrix after my transforms.

I'll try the breakpoint thing; I'll tell you how it goes.

I guess it's due to Orthographics projection.

It once happenned with me, and I had no time to check the reason with it because I had to deliver my program before the deadline. Anyway, I have done all in reverse in order to find a short term solution, and since that time, I havn't had the chance to dedicate some time to Graphics...

Best Regards,
Ali B

Are you by any chance using wglUseFont functions to draw text? I don't know why the hell they change the winding, but they do. I have to reset the winding to glFrontFace(GL_CCW) right after I'm done drawing text, or else the culling gets screwed up.

Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Are you by any chance using wglUseFont functions to draw text? I don't know why the hell they change the winding, but they do. I have to reset the winding to glFrontFace(GL_CCW) right after I'm done drawing text, or else the culling gets screwed up.

YES!! I love you!

Thanks a lot, that fixed it!

What kind of $#% programmer changes the global states without changing them back??!