Sign in to follow this  
Manic_Gamer

Question/ Skills in Action Game. How Hard.

HI Im working on a resonably simple Action Fantasy Combat Game, Im planning on having 5 different classes for the game, and I was hoping each class would have there own sets of skills to choose from, And I was hoping that I would have enough Skills per class to make every player unique.. Say 7 or more skills to choose from per class and a player could choose 3 of them to learn. So if one person made a ranger it would be different from another player who created a Ranger. Giving a Example, For Ranger 1.) Duel Wield 2.) Tracking (Ability to use a Radar Map) 3.) Long Shot (Double your Range when using a Bow) 4.) Spin Attack 5.) Stealth (Turn invisible(90%) when used (Become visible when attack)) 6.) Sprint (Ability to run at 135% speed for a extended amount of time) 7.) Animal Form (Transform into A Wolf or a Hawk) Note, These are not nessisarily the skills im using but just a quick list of examples. And then say one Ranger would choose, Tracking, Long Shot, And Sprint. While Another Ranger would choose, Duel Wield, Spin Attack, And Animal Form. Thus 2 Rangers but each of them unique My First Question would be how difficult from a Programers side would implementing these skills in.. If there where 5 classes and 7 skills per class that would be 35 skills the programer would have to hassle over.. would these kind of skills be a very long time consuming and a head ack to create. or would it be fairly easy to create skills like that. My True Goal for the game is to keep it as simple as possible. My next question would be an Expansion on the first one. Suppose the skills where more than Yes I want it. or no I dont.. But infact each skills would range from Skill level 1 to 5. Starting at 0 for each of them. Example Long Shot Skill Level 1. 135% Range Skill Level 2. 145% Range Skill Level 3. 155% Range Skill Level 4. 165% Range Skill Level 5. 180% Range And each Player starts with 10 - 12 Skill Point to distribute Between the skills. Would this be a even harder prosses to implement.. or would it be relitivly easy.. SHould I shoot for this goal, in the same time trying to keep the over all design simple.. or Should I stick to the previous system of just Yes or no to a skill choosing only 3 for your character. Thank you for reading. and help I can get will be much appreciated..

Part 2 would be pretty easy to make in most cases. You just have one variable to change per level. Not too difficult.

Part 1, however, could be rather time consuming, especially so if you don't design the system correctly. If your current game is well designed and you plan out what you're going to do, it might not be too bad. However, if this is one of your first games, you probably have a somewhat clumsily coded game, making it more difficult to add more features. But either way, 35 skills could take a while, some more than others. Long Shot would be a relatively easy one to implement, while Animal Form could be alot more work, and Stealth would probably be somewhere in the middle.

P.S. I like the game idea!