Graphics Question (Would my modles be okay)

Started by
9 comments, last by _winterdyne_ 17 years, 11 months ago
I have a General Question I need to ask people. The skills I bring into the gaming world are 3d graphics. Yet Im not as good at it as alot of other users on this site.. but I just want to ask a quick question of weather my models would work in a game.. would you play a game with these low end models or would you loose interest do to models looking like there from 1998 games. These Models I can Create Pritty easily, The Minataur model would take a couple hours to design. Ive done better models but its been a real hard process for me.. By nature im not realy that great of a Artist to pop out more well rendered models, And the model Im about to show took about 20 hours to design. Im hoping the game itself will have upto 60 players on at once (Typicaly 12 - 24 im assuming) so frame rate is a question.. but Would you sudjest that I stick to creating the best models I can. or do you think its okay to go a little easier and just pop out some low polygon models thank you for reading im looking forward to your personal opinions.
Advertisement
Your models look like a good start! The next step you should take is probably to rig them for animation, and then draw textures (if you know how to draw).

You'll find that there are many fewer artists than programmers on gamedev.net, so if you look around the Help Wanted section, you'll probably find several projects you can join. I would recommend joining a project that already has a track record, and already has code that works where you can drop in your art, because most projects that are in the "forming a team" stage, sadly don't go anywhere.

Last, I'm moving this thread to Visual Arts, which is where it fits best. Keep up the modeling; that's the path to success!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Well thanks for the compliments and sudjestion.. Ive been torn between joining a team or starting a team. It might be nice to join a well established team to get to know the game design world better.. I have done it befor but with teams that never get off the ground..
Ill look for the thread in visual Arts.. thank you
Quote:Original post by Manic_Gamer
Well thanks for the compliments and sudjestion.. Ive been torn between joining a team or starting a team. It might be nice to join a well established team to get to know the game design world better.. I have done it befor but with teams that never get off the ground..
Ill look for the thread in visual Arts.. thank you

i would join a team, and like what is said above, look for a team that already has a track record of getting somethign done and some code already working. it is much harder for an artist to start a team, so joining one would be a very good idea.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Join a team with a game/art style that interests you, pratice, study anatomy, practice, draw, practice, repeat. The people you see who are better than you most definately have alot more experience than you do, they're not born able to produce that type of material. And you, too, will get to that level with alot of hard work.
-------------www.robg3d.com
I wouldn't advise using the minotaur model in something like an FPS, but as a low-poly model it would work great for any sort of large-scope field of view.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

Hey, lookin' good. I think you might be surprised at how great the models will look once you get the right texture on there. On our project, the models are actually really lowpoly and simply-built, but when a really good texture artist takes a pass at it, they often end up looking really great. I've been really fortunate to have known and worked with a few amazing artists that end up making me look good. Working in a good team is always useful.

Scott

Newfound Room -- Open your mind to open content.
Well thanks for all the sugestions and points in the right direction. I am realy eager to try out my own game design, but im still considering joining a team.. Anything Fantasy actualy.. my favorite genra
Hey Manic_Gamer,

I think you'll find that modeling, especially organic forms that require adhering to anatomy, will improve dramatically if you concentrate on the basics. It's taken me about 7-8 years to get to the point where I can model professional quality models from scratch, but if I had put in the time and effort to improve my fine art skills before I dived into the deep end of the pool I'm assure I could have achieved my current modeling skill level much sooner.

Initially, it won't be as gratifying to draw on paper when you know that your creation will never be seen in a game, but in the long run, those traditional art skills will put you leaps and bounds over the competition and give you the foundation you need to make high-quality professional models. Knowing how to model in a 3d content creation program such as Max, Maya, XSI, or Blender doesn't make someone an artist necessarily, at least not a good one. I fell into this trap very early in my career because I was able to operate the tools more effectively than any of my peers, but what I didn't realize is that my true artistic skills weren't really improving with increased knowledge of the modeling tools. Anyone can apply a pencil to a piece of paper and create an image, but that image may not represent quality art. The same goes for digital content creation. Almost anyone with the desire and dedication can learn how to use the modeling and animation tools that are out there, but that doesn't make them great digital artists.

Anyway, I'm unintentionally getting philosophical, but that's not my intention. My point is, that although you could theoretically begin modeling for a Mod project or your own project that you would benefit a lot more in the future if you concentrated on the basics of fine art first. If you're alredy proficient asa fine artist I apologize, but judging by the modeling work that I see, my assumption is that you still have a lot to improve in that area because it would typically carry over to your 3d work as well. If it's simply a matter of learning the tools and you already have the artistic foundation then you probably don't have much to worry about.
Well said.

also, http://www.gamespot.com/features/6144426/index.html
-------------www.robg3d.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement