I'm a total newbie and need suggestions

Started by
6 comments, last by pulpfist 17 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys, I'm completely new at game development but I have been wanting to get into it for quite some time. Where would you guys recommend I start? I will be going to college end of the year to begin my degree in software engineering and later go on to develop for the Nintendo Wii. But I would just like some suggestions as to what things would be good to learn until then. Thanks in advance guys. :)
Advertisement
It depends on what you want to do exactly. If you just want to get a head start on learning languages, Java or C# would be a good choice. C++ is as well, but its a lot more difficult for beginners to learn.
Quote:Original post by nimrand
It depends on what you want to do exactly. If you just want to get a head start on learning languages, Java or C# would be a good choice. C++ is as well, but its a lot more difficult for beginners to learn.

Well, I want to be one of the guys that thinks of new innovative gameplay ideas for games. My goal is to program for the Nintendo Wii.
Since you are going to get a BS in SE, you should have a fair chance in learning some serious programming. To be prepared for that, I would start by learning Java or C# (I prefer C#). If you have the time, learn C++ and do some GBA development.

-Hope this helps
Quote:Original post by vrok137
Since you are going to get a BS in SE, you should have a fair chance in learning some serious programming. To be prepared for that, I would start by learning Java or C# (I prefer C#). If you have the time, learn C++ and do some GBA development.

-Hope this helps

Awesome thanks. What would be the best way to learn those programming languages? Online tutorial? Books?
Quote:Original post by blake_mooney

-Hope this helps

Awesome thanks. What would be the best way to learn those programming languages? Online tutorial? Books?

Books and tutorials are good, but I prefer free video [wink]:

Learn C# the fun way

Quote:Original post by blake_mooney

-Hope this helps

Books and tutorials are good, but I prefer free video [wink]:

Learn C# the fun way

Damnit, I really wanna view those but they make you jump through a million different effing hoops just to do so. I tried doing their register bullshit but after I've done it all and I click "view recording" it says the Recording ID they gave me is incorrect...? This is why MS pisses me off.

[Edited by - blake_mooney on May 21, 2006 2:24:55 PM]
There is a lot of C++ tutorials online. Some are good, some are bad, and most is incomplete. I suggest you search for "teach yourself c++ in 21 days" on google.
That should point you to the second edition of the book, free online.

Most people are suspicious to teach yourself "something" in "notime" titles, but this book is actually very good for a newbie.
It is not very technical, and straight to the point.

Actually the worst thing about it is the cheap title if you ask me.
Work your way through it, and you'll be very well prepared for your course.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement