release version exe

Started by
2 comments, last by Digiflo 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I've just completed my first ever game and know I want to share my masterpiece with everyone. Problem is the exe that is in my debug folder refuses to work on other peoples computer. I have tried searching on google but 'release directx' usually takes me to pages explaining how to release dx objects and such I'm using VC++ 2005 express and directx 9. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
You shouldn't need to make any DirectX specific changes, but some more information on "refuses to work on other peoples computer" is going to be required!

The only changes you need to make are the linker inputs - the debug build should link to "d" variants (e.g. d3dx9d.lib instead of d3dx9.lib)

The obvious problems with distributing DX-based applications is the D3DX DLL's - you'll need to make sure that the end-user's machine has the relevant DLL's. This recent thread might be of interest.

If it's neither of those, then chances are you need to read up on how to use the VS IDE a bit more.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Why do you want to run the debug version of your app on other peoples PCs? You should never release the debug version of your application, unless it's for someone else debug. A lot of things are different, and need different DLLs - most of which are only availiable to people with the SDK.

The only possible advantage is that the debug D3DX library is a static lib as debug (last time I checked, although this may have changed). However, it's still a terrible idea to use it in a release build [smile]
Thanks for the help, the thread you pointed me to jollyjeffers addresses my problem exactely :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement