DirectX 10 hardware: anything known?

Started by
4 comments, last by darkelf2k5 17 years, 11 months ago
Basically, I am intrested whether there is any info about the DX10 hw. Thinking about buying new machine, but no point if it won't fit into PCI-X slot. Any info about that? Doubt it, but maybe you guys know more. Thx
Every time you implement a singleton, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!
Advertisement
ATI, Nvidia and Intel seem to be keeping quite tight-lipped about details (damn them!), but a few bits-and-pieces pop up every now and again.

From what I've gathered Nvidia's GeForce 8 series (search for the codename "G80") will be a non-unified architecture supporting Direct3D 10. ATI's "R600" chipset will be their D3D10 part and is supposed to have a fully unified shader implemenation. R600 derives from the work they've done on the XBox360 GPU.

As far as connections go, I'd imagine PCI-Express will be the primary connection (I think "PCI-X" is something else though [wink]), but maybe some AGP flavours will appear later in the cycle.

If I have to build my replacement machine before D3D10 hardware appears I'd be going PCI-Express.

Beyond3D.com and TomsHardware.com have been good sources for speculation/news on upcoming products.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by darkelf2k5
Basically, I am intrested whether there is any info about the DX10 hw. Thinking about buying new machine, but no point if it won't fit into PCI-X slot. Any info about that? Doubt it, but maybe you guys know more. Thx

I assume you mean PCI-express? PCI-x is a completely different thing. I can only assume that all DirectX hardware with be PCI-e compatible. It would be extremely foolish to try and create a new interface when PCI-e has only been out for a year and a half...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
i did some work on an industry leader gpu that will be a directx 10 powerhouse. you'll be safe with a 16x PCI-E slot.
Quote:Original post by datadawgx
i did some work on an industry leader gpu that will be a directx 10 powerhouse. you'll be safe with a 16x PCI-E slot.

I'm assuming you're under an NDA, but is there any other info that you can give? What are you doing where you have acces to these cards? SOunds really cool.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Yes, I meant PCI-Express, sorry. Thanks for the info guys.
Every time you implement a singleton, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement