Tired of C++.. C#?

Started by
23 comments, last by ForeverNoobie 17 years, 10 months ago
Download the latest microsoft directx SDK and then check out the c++ and c# empty template projects that come with it and then compare the code required to draw a triangle to the screen and decide for yourself how much simpler c# is than c++!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GutyGu
can u tell me some pages to introduce me to C#?

see this recent thread that i started a few days ago. this link, posted by ussnewjersey4, was very helpful. the videos don't go into much detail, but i got enough information about a wide variety of subjects that i've been able to learn as i go using msdn.
This space for rent.
My problems with classes were a few months ago... that's why I left programming for a while :( Now i'm starting again.

Thanks for the links! I'm reading the C# introduction from Microsoft and Digipen. It seems to be a little easier than c++ but there's a lot of points that i didn't read yet.

That's all.. ah! By the way.. if some of you are in the same situation than me.. send me a PM. Maybe we could make a "newbie team" to help each other and to prevent getting bored :P

Thx4all!
Why don't you join the upcomming C++ workshop here on GameDev?

Check this thread:
Free C++ Workshop
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I want you to uninstall all your compilers and quit programming. If you get bored coding, you just aren't cut out for it.
I'm reading "Teach yourself c++ in 21 days" (excellent) and "thinking in c++" and i'm working with DevC++. Everything was fine until i tried "classes". I don't know why i received 1000 errors in compiling time.

Something you should definitely note before even thinking about C#. It is an easier language if you've worked with C++ already. The thing about C# is that EVERYTHING is a object, everything resides within a class. Chances are if you are having problems with object orientated programming related programming you need to read about a lot more. I believe that it is great you are trying to expand your knowledge with another language c#.

The C# langauage was designed around object orientated programming everything will be in classes, and everything will be objects. You really should try and figure out object orientated programming its a pretty difficult subject for new programmers. It is however very useful and once you understand it you will see how awesome it is.
My problems with classes were a few months ago... that's why I left programming for a while :( Now i'm starting again.

One thing is sure: Learning all of C++ makes the word "frustration" much more meaningful.
+ C++: Learning it teaches concepts (low-level memory managment, pointers, RAII, template-metaprogramming) which are important to know for any 'computer scientist' or hacker.
- C++: Said concepts are losing importance due to bytecompiled+memory managed frameworks like .NET or any High Level Language (which C++ is not really)(like Python, Ruby, Lisp, OCaml, Perl...).
Quote:Original post by Konfusius

One thing is sure: Learning all of C++ makes the word "frustration" much more meaningful.

Yeah.. but i think frustration comes because some tutorials don't have many exercises with them. If you don't use what you're learning you get bored soon. I'm working hard again with "teach yourself c++ in 21 days". Would it help if i start to learn another language like PHP? I studied it sometime ago and it was very easy to me. After you learn a little of c++ the rest of languages are a loooot easier :P

Quote:Original post by GodBeastX

I want you to uninstall all your compilers and quit programming. If you get bored coding, you just aren't cut out for it.

Thanks! i really needed an advice like that.. i feel better now! hahahaha just kidding :P

Well.. i'm gonna ask u a last question. Compilers? i'm using Dev-C++ and i remember it had errors when i tried classes. I don't remember what errors it said to me but the code was fine. I tried to copy and paste from the tutorial and it had errors too. Do i have to change compilers? which are the best?

Thx all and good luck :)
Well.. i'm gonna ask u a last question. Compilers? i'm using Dev-C++ and i remember it had errors when i tried classes. I don't remember what errors it said to me but the code was fine. I tried to copy and paste from the tutorial and it had errors too. Do i have to change compilers? which are the best?

Can you provide an example for a valid source snippet that is alleged to cause errors in DevC++?
While this is in general possible, it is highly unlikely that you -as a beginner- are going to find code that's valid and doesn't compile properly. The compiler used by DevC++ is MingW32/gcc and it's pretty rock solid, it's also used by several other free/open source IDE projects (such as CodeBlocks), so any compiler errors should certainly not be IDE-specific but rather compiler-specific.
Apart from that you need to realize that there are many tutorials (and even books!) out there that do not teach proper ANSI/ISO C++, so you should really not blame the IDE or compiler when it is the learning material that may in fact SUCK.
There are industrial-strength applications being developed with gcc.

In other words, DevC++ or CodeBlocks or any MingW32/gcc based IDE should be absolutely sufficient for any beginner, likewise for the underlying compiler!

So many of these threads recently. It's nice in a way to see people actually considering other languages rather then blindly going with C++. Just look through threads in the forums from the past few weeks and you'll see this question asked and answered by tons of different people.

Anything you learn with any language will be useful elsewhere, it all adds to your experience.

If you want a quicker fix you might want to just go even higher then C#, like flash script or some kind of game maker package.

So the right language is whatever language enables you to make a game. Unless you are on an academic mission to learn a particular technology, it really doesn't matter which you choose. Especially if you have your sights set about right, and are prepared to put some effort in to get past the "boring" bits, you will get something done.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement