Tired of C++.. C#?

Started by
23 comments, last by ForeverNoobie 17 years, 10 months ago
Nothing much to comment on the C++ and C# side of things that hasn't been mentioned already, but if you're interested in programming text adventure games (or interactive fiction), you might wanna try the Inform programming language found here

inform

Ahh, the good old days of text adventures.
I'd be keen to try a Silent Hill text adventure game. :)

Good luck with your endeavours.
Advertisement
Go with C#,

I have been trying for years with c++ with little luck,
I spent a week learning c# and I have a decent game underway.

there are alot fewer engines in C# , however it is much more managed and IMO logical. Alot of things are taken care of behind the scenes.
Go with C#, C# is extremelly easy. You can get something working easily and fast and you will be motivated with it, so you're going to keep moving on...
Learn the language basics first, try to make some simple applications, try to make a game with what you've learned from the basics. Then download SDL.NET or DirectX, or some other api, and learn the basics of it(how to plot a pixel on screen or how to blit an image to the screen). Then go to http://www.gamedev.net/reference/ and check out the How do I make games article... and try to make some of those games...
You gotta make always a little app with what you learned. So right after you read a topic, think of something cool you can build up with what you learned and finishit it... you can make the dumbest thing ever, but you are gonna fell great and really proud :P

The only way to learn programming and game dev, or anything you want to develop, you gotta practice it, so you gotta MAKE PROGRAMS!!!! so try to make something fun out of it...

There is a REALLY cool book called: Microsoft C# Programming for the Absolute Beginner from Premier Press. This books teachs all the basics of programming in C# and all the examples are little games. By the end of each chapter you build a little game. Some of them are really nice to learn a lot of some of the game dev mechanics.
I think you can download it for free after you register any products from Visual Studio Express family. You should try out this book, its really nice for begginners.

[Edited by - BrasiLokau on May 25, 2006 9:51:35 AM]
blog: www.brasilokau.com/games/blog
Quote:Original post by GodBeastX
I want you to uninstall all your compilers and quit programming. If you get bored coding, you just aren't cut out for it.

Actually most programmers are very particular about what they like to focus their programming time on-some like doing gui interfaces, others like to do the cool 3dstuff and others the practical stuff like file loading, map editors and other tools,etc.
I used to work with this guy that would get all excited about making SQL queries which to is about as exciting as going to the dentist is to myself!
Now mention game programming and I probably get as excited and that SQL guy!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by daviangel
Actually most programmers are very particular about what they like to focus their programming time on-some like doing gui interfaces, others like to do the cool 3dstuff and others the practical stuff like file loading, map editors and other tools,etc.
I used to work with this guy that would get all excited about making SQL queries which to is about as exciting as going to the dentist is to myself!
Now mention game programming and I probably get as excited and that SQL guy!

Lol, I like programming "the practical stuff". I have lots of hand made tools that I have yet to use in an actual project.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement