Tired of C++.. C#?

Started by
23 comments, last by ForeverNoobie 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi! I'm new here.. i've been learning c++ and i'm getting so bored of it's complicated grammatic.. so.. i want to change to C#. It's better than c++? has C# the same advantage than c++? i red C# is a little easier. I've a problem.. when i'm learning to program i get tired so fast. With C# maybe it'll be more "enjoyable" :P Plz.. if u can tell me the advantage or disadvantage of C#.. u're gonna help me so much! thank u all :) p.d: Sorry.. my english is AWFUL (i'm sure u know that at this time :P)
Advertisement
Hi there,

C++ is a harder language than C#, but if you get bored easily you probably will so with C#.

Try to set yourself some goals that you would like to complete programming wise; for example different kinds of programs you would like to develop and then work towards that. Make yourself a plan so you feel that you're getting somewhere and that you have a purpose with the programming.

Somtime a few days or even a week off of programming may do wonders for your motivation (we all get tired of it from time to time).

Of course if you also feel that the C++ syntax and semantics are a hindrance to your enjoyment by all means change language; but don't expect a new language to fuell you with programming excitement - that enjoyment of building stuff from bits is something you have inside of you.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I am currently learning C#. Its not any less complicated IMO. In fact Its more complicated in some areas. Each class member's access level must be individually declared. Apparently If you want a simple copy constructor you HAVE to write your self, the compiler wont. You can’t simply make a reference variable, the compiler decides for you based on whether it’s a class or struct, making you have to do some gymnastics to get it to work right. You can’t just make some simple stand alone utility functions, you HAVE to put them in a class. Making virtual functions isn’t as straight forward as in C++.

So far the only thing I have seen that’s convenient about the language is Events, but those were easy enough to knock together in C++, so it’s not that big of an advantage. Delegates are nice too I suppose, but again aren’t really that big a deal.

I have yet to figure out what makes this language so ‘RAD’ It seems to want to fight basic code construction every step of the way.
I find it harder to get round the (positive) limitations of a language then actually using them as "hacks" in the more evil languages like C++.
First of all, lets please not have this C++ vs C# war again.

Now, from my experiences, C# is a much better language to use for casual games. That may be 2D or 3D. MDX is fast enough for 80% of the games out there. There are few disadvantages though from my perspective:

- .NET requirement, this is a biggie for downloadable products
- startup speed, sometimes takes 10 seconds before anything is shown on the screen (that is on my 3ghz 2gig system). There are tricks to lower it, but it will never pop up like a good ol' Win32 exe.

Hmm, well, those are my two gripes with the language. The first one will go away with Windows Vista (.net built in).

You won't be creating any breakthrough, in terms of graphics, game anytime soon, but you might create a breakthrough game in style and gameplay. Basically, C# took away some of the headache from development, reduced code by 25%, provided a great IDE, and today has a lot of support (C++ has more, but C# is growing fast). And, most important to me, it brought back fun in development that I believe was lost when we switched from DOS to Windows development due to the increase in code size and functions to learn.
If C++ bores you, C# will too. I'd recommend a more high level language with better turnaround, like Ruby or Python. Both are nice (although python might be better for games, at least library wise).

A problem might also be that you are setting your sights too high at once. What have you tried to do?
First of all, thank u all for your answers. It helps me so much :)

I think is not i get bored with c++. Maybe i'm not applying enought what i'm learning because i'm going so fast. I've to make a plan (like some of u said) and program some little things to apply what i learned.

I'm reading "Teach yourself c++ in 21 days" (excellent) and "thinking in c++" and i'm working with DevC++. Everything was fine until i tried "classes". I don't know why i received 1000 errors in compiling time. Anyway.. can u tell me some pages to introduce me to C#? and some pages with games based on C# with source codes?

If C# is not easier as i thought then.. i'll keep my mind on c++. I want to make my first text-adventure based on silent hill... hahahaha it's going to be a REALLY SCARY GAME.. lol

Well.. thank u everybody. This page RULES!!
Quote:Original post by GutyGu...Everything was fine until i tried "classes". I don't know why i received 1000 errors in compiling time...

Sounds like you are running away from a problem rather then trying to solve it. What errors do you get?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

If you really want an adventure, you could always go with Lisp [grin]
I don't know it myself, but I've heard it's really different form most languages.
Still 2^10 :P
Visual Basic
Ruby
Python
REBOL

more direct payoff with less learning involved :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement