VC++ 2005 Express Problem - Platform SDK Install

Started by
24 comments, last by Koolchamp 17 years, 10 months ago
A win32 app usually means a native win32 application. Native means it is compiled using your machines instruction set. .NET code on the otherhand is compiled to an intermediate language which is why C++.NET compiled code will be almost identical to C#.NET or VB.NET compiled code. This IL code is then translated / compiled on the fly to native instructions.

If you want to use windows forms and framework class library that comes with .NET then you don't need the Platform SDK. However, if you want to write apps that don't bother about .NET framework library then you need the Platform SDK. This contains all the header files and library files needed to make GUI applications.

* Have you tried fiddling with Norton. Maybe you could switch off the script warnings.
Advertisement
Well I messed around with Norton, and it finally shut up. Thanks to all of you who helped, but now im confused a bit.

In my book, "C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner", it says that I need to make a Win32 C++ App, so that I can use DirectX. Can I also use DirectX or some other...thing (haven't read to much on that stuff), that lets me display 2D artwork, in a Windows Form Applications?

...looks like I still have alot more to learn. I hope my question makes sence.
Cheers,Ken(Koolchamp)_____________________________"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius"If you don't have a game industry job and you want to go to E3, do what everyone else does. Launch a game review website and call yourself press." - Mike McShaffry(This is true for me) “…..I'm a geek and jocks are my natural enemy.” – Li C. Kuo
You might know this already but you dont need DirectX to display 2D artwork
in a windows form application.

One of the components in the forms app is called PictureBox.
The PictureBox has a function called Load that should be able to load and display a image from disk.

If you want to make an application with window forms and DirectX accellerated 2D graphics, that is possible, but not the easiest way to start out.
I dont have much experience doing that myself (since I havent touched the forms applications yet).

The most common way to start out is to install DirectX SDK, create a win32 application (without the forms stuff), create a main window, and use directx to render graphics in that.

Or to install both DirectX SDK and SDL, and follow a tutorial like this one

The resources page here on GDNet has some good tutorials, and google will give you even more.

What tools and libraries to use depends on what kind of application you are going to write, so more info about that would help
pulpfist:

I get what you saying and I thank you. Ive ran into a problem creating a Win32 app though. When I try to make one, it can't find the <windows.h> file. I've been looking on the net about it, and im either hearing: A) you can't make those kinda of projects or B) the SDK gives it to you (if it does, then I think there is a problem with my directories...I think). Any Ideas anyone?

...Da** I have alot of problems don't I?
Cheers,Ken(Koolchamp)_____________________________"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius"If you don't have a game industry job and you want to go to E3, do what everyone else does. Launch a game review website and call yourself press." - Mike McShaffry(This is true for me) “…..I'm a geek and jocks are my natural enemy.” – Li C. Kuo
Pretty much the same problems I had ^^

Did you create the projcte like this?

New -> Project -> Win32 -> Win32 Console Application -> [OK] -> Application Settings.
Then check the Windows application checkbox, and the Empty project checkbox.

If you miss any of the options mentioned above, chances are you didnt do
this
No I did do all that.

EDIT: I think I found the problem. Whan I try to create a Win32 app, its looking in the directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include.

But, all the win header files seem to be in the directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include

Do, do I just copy all the header files into: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include, or do I switch which directory it looks in? (if so, how?)
If you did create the project exactly the way I mentioned above, and you still get the "cant find windows.h" file. You should double check that you did step 3, 4 and 5 (in that link)

The directories in step 3 is under Tool -> Options ->Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories (Note the drop down list in the upper right corner there)

If you still have problems, I realy not sure what it could be...
Hang on a sec... DONT copy the files.
Stuff like that is configured under Tool -> Options ->Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories

edit:
Yes you need to add "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include" to the list of include directories, and
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib to the list of library files
k, well I think I got it to work. Now I just need to find a Win32 App code to test it.
Yea that shouldnt be too hard.
One decent tutorial here

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement