VC++ 2005 Express Problem - Platform SDK Install

Started by
24 comments, last by Koolchamp 17 years, 11 months ago
I've downloaded and installed the Platform SDK and create the directories. Ive also edited the corewin_express file. (the file they tell to to edit, has a different name, corewin_express.vsprops, but I couldn't find it). Now when I try to create a project with a Windows Forms Application, I get this problem: A norton antivirus pop up comes us and says: Malicious script detected High Risk Your computer is halted and needs to do someting about this script: Details: Object FileSystem Object Activity GetSpecialFolder File VCExpress.exe Then in a dropdown box it give me a bunch of options. K either I have done something wrong, or I have done something wrong. If anyone can help, I would appriciate it. Thanks EDIT: Forgot to mention that it is the SDK platform that makes it so you can make Windows Forms Application programs.
Cheers,Ken(Koolchamp)_____________________________"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius"If you don't have a game industry job and you want to go to E3, do what everyone else does. Launch a game review website and call yourself press." - Mike McShaffry(This is true for me) “…..I'm a geek and jocks are my natural enemy.” – Li C. Kuo
Advertisement
Firstly I'll just check that you were following these instructions provided by Microsoft?

Did you look in the listed location for the corewin_express.vsprops file?
Quote:Step 4: Update the corewin_express.vsprops file.

One more step is needed to make the Win32 template work in Visual C++ Express. You need to edit the corewin_express.vsprops file (found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCProjectDefaults)

If not, where was the file you did edit located?
If everything above checks out, take another look at the edits you made to be sure they're correct.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yes, I used those instructions. I doubled- and triple- checked everything. Still getting the problem though.
Cheers,Ken(Koolchamp)_____________________________"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius"If you don't have a game industry job and you want to go to E3, do what everyone else does. Launch a game review website and call yourself press." - Mike McShaffry(This is true for me) “…..I'm a geek and jocks are my natural enemy.” – Li C. Kuo
Quote:Original post by Koolchamp
EDIT: Forgot to mention that it is the SDK platform that makes it so you can make Windows Forms Application programs.

If all you want do it make WinForms applications then you do NOT need the platform sdk. WinForms is part of the .NET class library.
Then what is all this talk about needing the platform SDK to create a Win32 Form Apps in Visual C++ 2005 Express?
Quote:Original post by Koolchamp
Then what is all this talk about needing the platform SDK to create a Win32 Form Apps in Visual C++ 2005 Express?
You need the Platform SDK to make plain Win32 apps.

F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
I am not sure why norton is flagging VSExpress.exe as a malicious script, but with regards to the steps you followed when installing the platform sdk you may have inadvertantly changed the corewin_express file extension.

You say you couldn't find "corewin_express.vsprops" but you could find "corewin_express". These files are undoubtedly one and the same but the ".vsprops" might not displayed be as a result of you "hiding extensions for known file types" when using windows explorer. If you open My Computer, then click on "Tools", then "Folder Options..". In the "View" tab uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types". Then go back to your "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCProjectDefaults\" folder and make sure the corewin_express file has the file extension ".vsprops"

Hope this helps,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
What do you mean by "plain Win32 apps"?

Vilio Thanks. It is the same.
Well, thats it. I give up on trying to make this work. thanks for trying to help.
Win32 != WinForms.

Win32 is the 'oldschool' approach to Windows application development. It uses a C-based API and large chunks of it have been around since Windows 95.

WinForms is a new tech, part of the .NET platform, that is much easier to use for Windows UI development than Win32.

Also, have you considered simply telling Norton to ignore it or turning it off while you try it out?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement