• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm back ;-)

This topic is 6045 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry for not updating the site and not paying much attention to the forums, please read the update on the front site when I post it tomorrow (13.2.2001) ;-) Tim -------------------------- glvelocity.gamedev.net www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity

Advertisement
"This site does NOT work with Netscape ! Get Internet Explorer !
Sorry Linux users ;-)"

WTF!?!

Have you tried NetSheep 6?
It DOES work with NetSheep 6

And it looks better with NS than with IE

btw. Congratulations with the job at Crytek!!

I would kill myself before installing NetCrap on my shiny, clean and cool PC ;-) I can''t say anything about it, and when I hear the horrorstories about NS (and I believe them 100%) I think it''s safe to stay with that warning ;-) Why wasting 20MB of storage space to get a slower, ugly looking and Browser with 10x more bugs and less features ? You are free to do it, but please don''t force me into installing it just to test the website with it ;-)

Hey, I could also buy a voodooo and test my programs on it ;-)
Brrrrrr.....

Since you have iE4/5/6, why don''t use it ;-) This warning is simply there because some user loaded the site in an old NS and really thought it should look that way ;-) I just wanted to avoid that.

I enjoy my new job here, it''s cool ;-)

"I would kill myself before installing NetCrap on my shiny, clean and cool PC ;-) "

Save some bullets for Internet Exploder 6
The MSN bloat is no feature..

"Brrrrrr....."
I totally agree with that!

Anyway, how did you get the job?
Did they want you because you made that beautiful landscape engine??

btw. I''m only using NS 6 under Win98
Win2K is IE-only...

It''s really strange... iE4 was a nice brrowser, but really buggy. Crashed a lot. Then iE5 appeared and it worked like a charm. Not much more features than 4, but stable. I installed ie5.5 and it was as buggy as 4.0.... strange ;-) So 6 is going to be stable ;-)

MSN ? Hmmm.... I hate it when M$ puts annoyng crap into their OS !!! Let''s hope WinXP won''t destroy the nice and fast UI 2K has...

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity

Getting a job ?

Everytime I make a nice demo and flipcode, gamedev.net and so on post about it I get tons of offers. Companies want to see your demos or that you have a shipping games. Because this is the only prove that you are capable of what they are want.

Make a website and write some nice demos, I think this is the best way to get a job. At least it worked for me and other employees here...

Tim

glvelocity.gamedev.net

>>btw. I''m only using NS 6 under Win98
Win2K is IE-only...<<

hmmm i have win2000 i was wanting to change over to NS6 (ie5.5 is giving me so many problems the last couple of weeks eg im typing this here + all of a sudden the page decides to reload in again, text gone thankyou very much)

>>I think this is the best way to get a job<<

no its not , moving to napier is, theres lots of apples dying to picked. bearable if u like that sort of thing horrible if u dont btw WTF am i doing here in napier. oh yes i cant stand that dutch weather . i knew there was some piddling reason.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

Try to uninstall 5.5, it worked for me and I''m happy with 5 ;-)

I''ve heard that M$ wants everybody to use MSN Explorer instead of IE 6 (wich will be the last version).
This MSN Exploder has even more of that MSN crap build in..

Talking about WinXP, have you seen the latest screens? (beta 2)
It looks a little too friendly if you ask me..

--------

Hmm, I should really get that IOTD finished

I''m already working on a website but I think it''ll take another month to finish it.
(juicy detail: It''s IE compatible, NS doesn''t work yet )
Also I don''t have much knowledge of HTML/PHP/ASP (and English )

Shit, looks like using iE will be similar to using AOL ! *omg*

I think Whistler will be fast to learn but slow to use. For me, a friendly UI is an UI that I can use fast, even if it takes some time to learn it. For M$, a fast UI is an UI that is fast to learn, but then just annoys you with this "friendly" crap ;-)

I like 2k because the UI is fast to use, fast in terms of speed and still looks nice...

Tim

glvelocity.gamedev.net

One thing I don't understand is why M$ implemented that skinning stuff wich takes huge amounts of memory (needs at least 60mb) while they know that most users only have 64MB or even less...

I really hope that there's an option in XP for having the good old UI of 2K without the skinning.

btw. Yesterday I found another browser (K-Meleon) wich uses the Gecko engine (same as NetScape 6) but this one is much faster than NS (speed is close to IE) and without all unnessecary crap!

Edited by - richardve on February 16, 2001 3:00:27 AM

Do you think I should give the source of my own demos away when I''ve got my site finished?
I would like to do that but I don''t want people to steal it and saying it''s their own work (for example, see the "Q3A Engine deleted" thread in the DX, OGL & other API''s forum).

How do you handle that issues?

;-) I know this thread, Ignacio Castano is very well known for his engine and in fact he is a former Crytek employee. So finally nobody believes lame code stealers. I open source everything I''ve done, I don''t think there is much reason to hide it. If some lamers want to steal my code, why not. Then they are even more lame. The fun of coding come from creating something. I personally don''t even like to reuse any code from other because I had more fun & education if I had done it myself...

Tim

glvelocity.gamedev.net

howto uninstall 5.5 ? bar reformating of course.
cause 5 refusing to install whilst 5.5 is still there.

Tim:

I''ve decided to open source most of my code but making it not ready to compile, I hope that''s a good way to prevent lamers from stealing it (ie. they have to program to make it work).

Now if I only get that site finished...

Yes, that''s a good idea. No serious programmer is interested in plug & play code anyway ;-)

I was simply able to uninstal it like any other program in the world ;-)

Tim

glvelocity.gamedev.net

ive stuck on netscape6 ill try re-installing ie5.5 later

my impressions of netscape6
pros
-handles java better and faster than ie
-seems to download programs quicker than ie (no idea why it should)
-better looking than ie
-seems to load all pages quicker

cons
-takes ages to load up
-i cant press the middle mouse button and let the page scroll automatically like ie
-the menu on my site doesnt work for netscape (shit i though it was compatible for both browesrs gonna haveta change that)
-i dont think u can save a page with images (major bummer), not 100% certain though

My con: It''s netscape !!! I would never ever even install it. Netscape, AOL... I can even think of installing such stuff, brrrrrr

Tim

glvelocity.gamedev.net

My point was that Netscape is as crappy as AOL. It even comes with AOL ? Hey, that''s cool, the two programs fit together ;-)

Tim

glvelocity.gamedev.net

Waah!

I can''t take it anymore!
I''ve just uninstalled NetScape 6 (RIP)

It''s a good browser but the text selection is really anoying..

Well, fortunality there''s another good browser out there wich is compatible with all standards: OPERA.

Really ? Is it that good ?

I heared you have to pay for it, is that true ?

Tim

glvelocity.gamedev.net

Yeah, it''s good and fast.

BUT there are 2 versions for windows: 1 with ads and 1 without ads wich costs $39.

I''ve got the one with ads (free.. of course ) and I haven''t seen one site wich was rendered wrong.
So I guess it''s pretty good.

You can also resume downloads, there''s a buildin e-mail client, blah, blah, blah....

And the most important thing of all: there''s no AOL, M$ or other crap in it.

Oh, almost forgot.. those ads are only downloaded once per week (well, that what they say.. )

Guest Anonymous Poster
shit yeah! just downloaded opera and it is very quick im dumping ns6. if u dont like the add just press f11 for fullscreen :<) . its certainly improved a lot since the last time i looked at it

• Advertisement