Sign in to follow this  
benryves

[.net] Capturing keyboard focus

I have a multiple document interface, and a number of child forms. One of these forms is just a plain form with no controls on it, which I need to capture keyboard focus with (it's the video output form for an emulator - the BackgroundImage is set to the current image). The problem is, if I have one of the other forms open (for example, the memory viewer window with a vertical scrollbar) and press a cursor key (again, for example) that form is brought into focus as it's scrollbar steals focus. My understanding is that certain controls somehow indicate that they accept keyboard focus - how would you do this? I want my control-free display form to capture keyboard input. Currently I've put a text box on it, but hidden it 30 pixels or so above the top of the form, and this works fine, but is horrible.

This is C#. I've gone up and down through the properties window for the form, looking for something like a boolean AcceptsKeyboardFocus, to no avail.

Set the KeyPreview property for the form and do something like:

private void Form1_KeyPress(object sender, KeyPressEventArgs e)
{
MessageBox.Show("You pressed" + e.KeyChar);
}

Interesting, not really played with MDI C# projects.

Does your control-less form get other buttons properly? Is it just cursor keys?
If that's a case it might be that you need to override the ProcessCmdKey method either in that form. Cursor keys, control+tab and all that probably come under Command keys rather then normal keys.

Quote:
Original post by paulecoyote
Does your control-less form get other buttons properly? Is it just cursor keys?
If that's a case it might be that you need to override the ProcessCmdKey method either in that form. Cursor keys, control+tab and all that probably come under Command keys rather then normal keys.
That certainly sounds more plausible as yes, it handles most other keys just fine.