Suggestions on New races

Started by
26 comments, last by Manic_Gamer 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi Im creating a Fantasy Action FPS with slight RPG elements. What my question is , And my reasoning is, that im trying to keep the design simple, and correct me if im wrong but in the thinking progress I can see that creating new classes would be a programer intensive progress.. expesaly that each class has 7 skills to choose from, ANd i want to keep the programing side light. But in my figuring creating new races are more intesive for the Graphic Artist and Arnt to hard for the programer.. And in this game the races might at most have 4 different stats to choose from, like Strength, Agility, Endurace and Mana. So.. new races might only mean minor programing but heavy graphics, and becouse im doing all the 3d models I dont mind. But my question is that, what new races do you think would be good in a FPS Action game. the races I have right now are Human Elf Dwarf Barbarian Dark Elf But I was thinking of monster races to.. it seems typicaly but not always monster races are best suited for the warrior class. but I was thinking that a new race created might be good for one of the following classes, but not nessisarily warrior.. the classes I have right now are Warrior Ranger Rogue Cleric Wizard. So if you dont mind sharing I would appreciate any sudjestions followed by some racial detail of any monster sudjestions, thank you. [Edited by - Sandman on May 22, 2006 1:59:17 PM]
Advertisement
I have to leave so this is a short post but technically barbarian is a class not a race. check out http://d20srd.org for races. It's a DnD site and everything on there is free to use.
iKonquest.com - Web-based strategy.End of Line
Yes i think your right, in D&D there is a barbarian class, However my game is not D&D it is simply inspired by that game becous ive played for 12 years. However in the game Everquest which is also a D&D Inspired game they use barbarian as a race.. so it does work as both Class and Race.. Thanks for the post
Grammar nazi says: suggestion
Why don't you try to think outside of the box a bit? Instead of making another generic DnD inspired fantasy game, complete with generic races and stereotypes, why not invent some new sort of species/creatures. For example, even though I didn't play as them, Argonians and Khajit in Elder Scrolls definately add some needed diversity in appearance, as well as lore and culture. Its one thing to work on a clone-ish small project, but what you're intending to do is quite a massive undertaking, and without the immense team required to make something so beautiful and polished like Oblivion or without new/intriguing gameplay or design, why would anyone really want to play your game, and more importantly at this point, why would anyone want to help you work on it?
-------------www.robg3d.com
Technically, Barbarian is not a race, no matter which other games pretended it was. It is a description of a range of (human) cultures, and nothing more. It might even be too broad and general to use as a class. It's closer to a nationality than anything else. But it sure doesn't have anything to do with race.

But does the world *really* need yet another game using the least imaginative, most dull and bland setting in existence? Would the world really be a better place if there was one more game copying the same tired setting over and over again?

How are your elves going to be different from every other game's elves? Must we really have another game that can't be bothered to create a setting for itself?

But since you ask for a new race, how about orcs? Seems that'd fit right in. You also don't have dark elves, gnomes and giants. And there's no paladin profession either.

Yeah, sorry for the sarcasm, but why do people keep using the same cliches and stereotypes and cookie-cutter classes and races that are so shallow and nondescript that you might as well replace them with cardboard cutouts, and no one would notice the difference?

If you've played D&D for the last 12 years, then isn't it time to do something *new*?
I have to agree with the other posters. Everyone is sick of the human-dwarf-elf trinity of races. Make up some new races. Anything will do, as long as we haven't seen it before.
Why don't more people go with something unique, like, 10 different human kingdoms (or even less) they can each have a different art style, that leads to slightly different weapons and armour?

Like in my world of Darkgate, nearly all races are human (excluding deamons and angels) or closely related to humans (changed over time by magic, twisted by the gods)

There are the Arillians: Good sailors, fair craftsmen, most often wear maille armour with some plate, rich enough to field professional armies (stronger fighters). Fair skill with mounted troops, but the bulk of their armies are infantry

Then there are the Norlanders. Norlanders have few ships beyond river boats, and are poor. No standing army, each landowner is required to defend their own land and all men are expected to arm themselves. Armour is uncommon, rich men have coats of mail, most men might have a helm and shield. Weapons are most likely to be bows, spears, or woodaxes. Few own horses, but renouned for their strenght of body and will.

The main difference between Norlanders and Arillians? Arillians are rich, and wear better clothes. Arill is full of towns and cities, where as Norland is mostly small villages with few towns. put them in the same clothes, and you can't tell the difference between a Norlander and Arillian.

There are several schools of 'magic' as well. Cultist that worship 'old gods' or spirits, mix potions and sacrifice animals (or even people in some cases) and their spirit they worship does their bidding for a time. Alchemists mix potions as well, but their 'magic' is more modern science, healings and poisions are their main trade. However they are not as powerful, no instant healing from them, but practicing it has few drawbacks (no risking asking too much and having a spirit turn on you). Alchemists do however mix things like explosives and fireworks so they are much in demand.
Then there is magic like those that go to the 'rose towers' school (mages in my book), they practice powerful elemental magic, weaving 'forces'. They have no 'mana' but they have a limit to have many elements they can master, and just how powerful of forces they can control. Besides the Rose Towers there is another school I never picked a name or place for, but their students are more like a classical wizard, they are very similar to the Rose Towers, but draw on mana to do their work. A Wizard can be more powerful than a Mage in the first few minutes, but after awhile the Wizard will weaken as they use up their Mana, but the Mage can only be weaken as they get tired. Wizards use several 'schools' of magic that are common in like D&D, mastering one school, maybe two if they are extremely powerful, where as the Mage will master One of their options, and maybe have some small skill in one or two others, and then become more powerful in those schools over time.
(For a game, I think I might only allow players to be able to use just one style of magic, as to balance all of them would be a lot of work)

In a game, I can see Picking a homeland, and from that you can pick a spread of bonuses based on your homeland, and then pick a few extra skills to more define your 'class' sort of like the ElderScrolls style where you train basically any skill you choose, and one class doesn't really limit the skills you have.

From the bonuses you can pick for your homeland, it could be things like starting with lots of money (Arill) and retainers, Master swordsmanship and riding (Arill), beserker and clansmen (norland). Or if you aren't the adventering type, start with master carpentry, or smithing. Maybe start with a wagontrain and a few drivers/guards, or a small ship, sailing skill, and limited crew and trade your way to fame and glory.

Keep your 'races' varid. Don't have "Every elf runs around with a bow and sword doing backflips" and "All dwarfs are short, bearded, and smash things with hammers or axes, and are all rude". If you do feel the need to have elves and dwarves, have an elf that is more likely to shoot themselves in the foot than hit a target 5 feet from them, but they're charming and good at trade and pick pocketing. A charming dwarf that loves trees and animals, and can't tell Tin from iron. Mix things up a little.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Grammar nazi says: suggestion

Nazi forum moderator concurs.

(I fixed the titles because it was bothering me [grin])
The moment I saw this title the idea of having a gargoyle race popped into my mind. I think that this could make a really interesting class to play. Give them the ability to change to stone, during which time they have much greater health and armor and slowly regenerate health. Or something like that. Could be good for Warriors, but could also be good for something like a Mage/Wizard where this is a good way to protect yourself once enemies get in close. You might or might not want to give them the ability to fly for short distances. Mabye just a boosted jump.

Could be alot of programming and artwork, though.

Actually, I think that technically barbarian is the closest to a race there; Elves, Dwarfs, and Humans are actually species.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement