• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Odin1985

OpenGL Comparing opengl libraries like glut and others

This topic is 4440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well since i havent worked in some time in opengl or coding for any sort i was researching most stuff over again to get myself up to speed, so i was going to ask the community what are the common things now, i mean normaly i know most ppl use or used GLUT for easy opengl development but with all the lastest developments in hardware and such does GLUT has gone a bit outdated or is still good to use in big projects or complicated stuffs like new terrain rendering, images, effects and such? is there anything new to use beside the new shading language opengl got out, or still using the opengl library with part of the glsl and such is the best way to go?

Advertisement
For the most part, people seem to have stopped using GLUT due to that fact that is outdated, no longer supported, and still hasn't been open-sourced by the developer.

That very page you link to contains the notice that

Quote:

GLUT is not open source. Mark Kilgard maintains the the copyright. There are a number of newer and open source alternatives.

The source is available, but depending on what you define "open source" to be, this may or may not qualify. The source code itself prominently displays the notice:

Quote:

/* This program is freely distributable without licensing fees
and is provided without guarantee or warrantee expressed or
implied. This program is -not- in the public domain. */

A cursory glance over the source distribution did not reveal more specific licensing information (its not under the GPL or LGPL, for example). Not being a lawyer or particularly familiar with licensing issues, I can only assume this means that, while you can look at, and recompile, the GLUT library, you aren't really allowed to change it and redistribute it or call it your own.

GLFW is an alternative to SDL that might be worth looking into. Drew Benton did a a comparison between the two which seems to be down now. Here is the google cache.

ty for all the inputs they are really helpfull, but in this case what about not using a library at all, just using the opengl and thats all

in that case you will have to come up with the window interface and input system yourself.

To be honest, unless you have a specific reason for wanting todo that and all the work it requires I'd not bother and stick with one of the ones named above <pimp>or even take a look at my own window framework, which I admit is only Win32 compatible right now due to a lack of a linux box...</pimp>

I run on a Mac, so comparissons come out slightly different.

First off, GLUT is an imediate down, it is antique at this point, and requiring you to hand control of your program to a never-returning main loop is just plain nasty.

SDL is quite nice, but window initialisation is very verbose, and I never use most of the other features (2D graphics, audio, etc.). It also lets you poll for input, and has full keyboard support (including international keyboards, and other mappings).

GLFW is almost perfect as a windowing enviroment, except for one small flaw: it doesn't let you prevent the window from being resized by the user when in windowed mode (or even constrain the resize to a fixed aspect ratio). This is a real pain, as none of my projects let the user randomly mess with the aspect ratio).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!