[mdx] Tutorial/sample code for point sprites?

Started by
3 comments, last by fervent 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I'm writing a game in Managed Direct 3d. I'd like to add a particle system to the game using point sprites with alpha blending, however, the internet seems to be devoid of any Managed Direct 3d C# tutorials/samples on point sprites and I'm having a hard time converting vb into c#. Any tips/pointers/links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, David
Advertisement
I know it isn't managed, but porting this codesampler point-sprite example to MDX with C# would be pretty straightforward.

All the best,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
fervent,

The differences between DirectX and Managed DirectX are for the purposes of learning, mostly syntactical. For example, I'm an experienced DirectX programmer, and I am often able to answer people's questions on how to do something using MDX, even though I've never used it. Typically I just convert my knowledge of C++ into C#, and the "directx" portion is then very similar.(Replace D3DRS_* with RenderStates enum's, etc...)

My advice for learning would be to search for DirectX tutorials, not MDX tutorials, as there are far more available, and then convert the C++ code into C#. The languages are infinitely closer in syntax, then VB->C#, so you should have an easier time understanding the principles being shown. Then its just a matter of replacing all the D3DRS_* and other enums into their appropriate MDX counterparts.

For starters, check the DirectX SDK (Apr. 2006). There is a section in the Documentation (C++ not MDX) on point sprites. Just looking over it, you shouldn’t have a problem converting that info into MDX.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
http://www.thezbuffer.com/articles/344.aspx
ZMan
Thanks guys. I was able to port that example from c++ to c#.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement