Api for overlay desktop

Started by
6 comments, last by Eddycharly 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi Guys How to make a OpenGl App run behind the desktop. The goal is to make the app runs behinds the icons, folderes and whatever have in the desktop. On such a way that i can freely use or move all the desktop itens, while the opengl app is running as a "background animated image". (But, of course, it is not an image..it is an app) Does someone have a working example of that or a tutorial ? I posted this thread on the nehe subforum, but i think that tehre is not trhe proper place. Someone knows what is the api that can be used to put the app behind the dsktop ? Placing it as a background ? Best Regards, Guga
Advertisement
Well Winamp used to (maybe still does) allow you to run its visualisations on the desktop by setting an Overlay color, then displaying the visualisation through the overlay.
I would look into that.
I made something like this some time ago.
It was using direct, but you could do it with opengl too.
Have a look at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=283590
Hope that helps.
Hi BluntMan

Winamp does ? I tested and nothing....The settings on the effects have the overlays itens, but they are not working.

Eddy :)

Tks... Your app seems to work fine, but..where is the source, do you have a link for it ? I would like toadapt the source for opengl. Also do i always ned to use activedesktop enabled ?

Best Regards,

Guga
I don't have a link to the sources, but i can send them to you by email if you want.
And yes, you must have active desktop enabled for the program to work.

[Edited by - Eddycharly on May 24, 2006 6:07:18 AM]
Hi Eddie

Tks

send it pls to mauroteste@hotmail.com

I would like also to know through your code, how you managed to enable the active desktop by code. You did a pretty good job.

Best Regards

Guga
Sorry Eddie

That´s was me...I wasn´t logged in :)

Best Regards,
Guga
Hi,
i just sent you the code by mail.
About the active desktop, i remember that i tried to activate it programatically, and that i had troubles getting the ActiveDesktop api to do the job. But i don't remember if i failed ou succceeded in it.
Some ActiveDesktop code is present in the sources, but it is comented out. Probably because when i ported the project to dev-cpp, i didn't have the headers for the api.

Have fun.
Best regards.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement