Real-Time Lighting with Shaders

Started by
13 comments, last by David Hart 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote from my site http://www.davidhart.info/:
Quote:I have finished writing and have handed in my bachelor's project report. It is entitled "Real-Time Lighting with Shaders" and should be an interesting read for anybody who wants to learn about the basic local-lighting model and some much used techniques like normal mapping and parallax mapping. It is now available on the site, through the main menu.
If anybody is interested in reading it, I would enjoy any comments/criticisms/opinions. Thx in advance! Direct Link [Edited by - David Hart on May 23, 2006 10:44:13 AM]
--------------------------------David Hart
Advertisement
I took a look at the first part of it and it's definitely a more in-depth discussion of lighting than I've seen before. I haven't had the time to look through the implementation part, but it likes good work all around. I'm going to download it later when I get back on my comp at home. Thanks for sharing.
[smile]

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
While my first thought was, "why bother writing more stuff about these well-understood concepts?", but I read the paper and found it very clear and well-researched, and it covers all of the topics presented intelligently and thoroughly, with nice diagrams and such.

This is a good read for anyone learning the basics of real-time lighting, and even an expert would find it interesting.
Thanks for your comments.

It's true that the topic has already been discussed over and over again. But I hope I have brought something different by defining more mathematically the concepts already explained more practically. I wish I had enough space to explain the BRDF, but I have already hit the project's size limit.

If you have the impression one topic could be researched in more depth, I'd be glad to hear it, and possibly release a further version.
nice job.
Quote:Original post by David Hart
Thanks for your comments.

It's true that the topic has already been discussed over and over again. But I hope I have brought something different by defining more mathematically the concepts already explained more practically. I wish I had enough space to explain the BRDF, but I have already hit the project's size limit.

If you have the impression one topic could be researched in more depth, I'd be glad to hear it, and possibly release a further version.

Could always carry it on in your free time, as a seperate paper that's just there to explain for others benefit. Naturally, you might not have the time, but I'm sure many would appriciate it!
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
David,

really, a very good paper - one of the most comprehensive doc's i've seen in the last time !
I think, you should make it publicly available since beginners (here at gd.net, for example) could use it to get an overview.
Alex BakerComputer science is dealing with computers as much as astronomy is dealing with telescopes.
Quote:Original post by Alex Baker
I think, you should make it publicly available since beginners (here at gd.net, for example) could use it to get an overview.

What do you mean by publicly available?

Quote:Original post by Alex Baker

Isn't it already publicly available in this thread?

Nice paper, I'd been meaning to get around to reading about lighting and this was perfect.
Hey,
I'm trying to get back to your paper but apparently the server your site is hosted on is down. Do you know anything about this or if you could put it up somewhere else? Thanks.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement