• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SomeCodeGuy

OpenGL Turning off VSYNC in OpenGL

This topic is 6456 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do you turn off VSYNC in your opengl app?? I know you can do this by change a setting in your display driver, but I wanna do this for my app, perhaps by calling some function in the code... Please advice, thanks!!

Advertisement
Normally OpenGL apps don''t wait for the VSYNC! When I am correctly imformed than the red book says that it only can be done with the initalizing of the window! But ask NeHe for more information.

well, I know for a fact that VSYNC is on by default... unless you explicitly turn it off in your Display Properties window. And that your SwapBuffers() wait on it... My frame rate in my app was hovering around 85, then I turned off VSYNC, and the frame rate shot up to around 250.

And 85 also happens to be my monitor''s refresh rate at 1280x1024

Guest Anonymous Poster
Check out the WGL swap control extension.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/EXT/wgl_swap_control.txt

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

Check out the WGL swap control extension.

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/EXT/wgl_swap_control.txt

Thanks ap!!! That looks to be exactly what I was looking for, much appreciated...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!