C# Question Related Languages?

Started by
1 comment, last by nimrand 17 years, 11 months ago
I've been learning C#, when I heard from someone that Microsoft will be cutting the .NET framework for Windows 2000, and have already done so with 95 and 98, and instead supporting XP and Vista. I've got Windows 2000, which means I'd be stuck with the 2.0 version? Would I run into problems? I'm working on programming 3D games, and don't want to find out 2.0 not suitable or supported. I was then wondering about other languages. I love C#, besides for the .NET Framework requirement. I'm looking for languages that most importantly, don't require anything like that, such as Java and the Java Runtime. I would also really like for it to be like C#. I would learn C/C++, but the syntax is absolutely un-inviting and not natural, but C# is. I also love C# for its class and method organization. Especially when dealing with OOP. I also love how Microsoft has C# Express, a free compiler, by the creators, with all the features I enjoy, syntax coloring, nice interface, solutions and everything. My problems with C#, is that it cannot be used on Mac or Linux, and possibly not even Windows 2k or before. I despise XP and will Vista, due to all the bloatedness, I'm very minimalistic. And then the fact it requires the Framework, which can lead to more issues with consumers trying to instal your product, happened just today.
Advertisement
don't get jittery just yet. .Net 2.0 just came out last year. You will not see the next version of .Net for a while. At least 2+ years. Also the .Net framework. So when .Net 3.0 comes out if they don't support Win2000 then upgrade. However, you might want to make note that from what I hear DX10 is Vista/XBOX360 only. Not shure how accurate that is. At some point you will need to upgrade no matter what even if it is only to XP. When Vista Launches you will see the XP price drop.

As for MAC and Linux you can use the MONO for C# and not really learn anything new. The entire .Net Framework is ported to it.
Anything you write for .NET today will work on windows 2000, so don't worry about it. Now, when Microsoft releases a new .NET Framework version that does not support WIndows 2000, then you will have to decide if you want to use the upgraded version, knowing that you are excluding Windows 2000, or just keep using .NET 2.0. But don't dump .NET now because future versions will not be supported on older Operating Systems, because Microsoft will still support .NET 2.0 for a very long time to come, and you can always just stick to that version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement