Looking for a Good Win32 compiler

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
Quote:
I'm getting sick and tired of this bogus argument.

I have to admit that using Norton does not yield the same results as reinstalling every 2 years. Still, when I tried Norton quite a few years ago, it was a CPU hog.
In my oppinion the firewalls that follow todays routers/hubs and the firewall that follow win XP render most of the Norton package useless for anything else than preventing your grandmother from frentically executing that obscure looking email attachment she got the other day.

Maybe my oppinion is biased. Maybe I hate changes. Maybe Im a bitter young man.

All I know is that if I could choose between Norton and my good old comodore 64, I would choose the latter...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by simon10k
I think you can only run VC++ Express on the computer you installed it on, I'm not sure though, I'm going by the fact that my VC++ Express programs don't run at college. And when I uninstalled VC++ Express the programs stop running too.

Wrong. You were probably compiling the debug versions of the code or something along those lines. These aren't meant for distribution, they are meant to aid in debugging your program. What you need to do is set the compiling options to 'release'. I don't know where exactly that is because I don't use it(computer too old). But no, you can legally sell programs you made with VC++ Express, so of course you can run them on other computers.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

Quote:Original post by ViLiO
In my personal opinion, Visual Studio .NET is not only the best IDE, but also has the best compiler for making win32 apps.

That sir, is not an opinion; it is a fact. People that aren't using it are not doing themselves any favors.

Quote:Original post by simon10k
I think you can only run VC++ Express on the computer you installed it on, I'm not sure though, I'm going by the fact that my VC++ Express programs don't run at college. And when I uninstalled VC++ Express the programs stop running too.

Assuming you're trying to run a release build of the program, this is because you haven't installed the correct runtime on the target machine. This has been true with every visual studio release since at least Version 1.5... You've got to have the MSVC runtime environment AND any appropriate components (like the MFC runtime if you're using that) installed on the target system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement