Looking for a Good Win32 compiler

Started by
12 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
Im looking for a good C++ compiler that can create Win32 apps. I can't seem to get VC++ 2005 Express to work (says it cant find the window.h file or w/e, and the PSDK platform wont work). So if anyone knows of any good C++ compilers that are good for creating Win32 apps, please list. Thanks.
Cheers,Ken(Koolchamp)_____________________________"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." - Confucius"If you don't have a game industry job and you want to go to E3, do what everyone else does. Launch a game review website and call yourself press." - Mike McShaffry(This is true for me) “…..I'm a geek and jocks are my natural enemy.” – Li C. Kuo
Advertisement
In my personal opinion, Visual Studio .NET is not only the best IDE, but also has the best compiler for making win32 apps. It would be well worth the effort seeing where you may have gone wrong when installing the Platform SDK and trying to get Visual C++ 2005 Express running.

First of, did you use the Platform SDK Web Install or did you download one of the cd images and burn a cd?

Where is the Platform SDK installed to (is it C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK)?

Are you running the latest service pack for your Windows installation (I believe 2000 needs sp4 and xp needs sp2 for visual studio 2005 express to work)?

I know you have modified corewin_express.vsprops, but it might be worthwhile to be 100% sure you have modified it correctly and saved it.

Have you changed the settings in visual c++ under Tools, Options, Projects and Solutions, VC++ Directories for the include files "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2006)\Include" and the library files "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\lib" (assuming you are running a 32-bit os)?

Have you also considering uninstalling norton (I never liked that program anyway [wink])?

All the best,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
If you want a good programming IDE you can try codeblocks
Download the version with the MingW compiler.

I aggree with vilio, but you should try this IDE rather than giving up becouse of the new and improved MS "instalation and setup feel"

Norton is for people who dont do stuff themself.
Id rather whipe out and reinstall my OS every 1-2 years, than have Norton eat my memory and CPU on a 24-7 basis
Quote:Original post by Koolchamp
Im looking for a good C++ compiler that can create Win32 apps. I can't seem to get VC++ 2005 Express to work (says it cant find the window.h file or w/e, and the PSDK platform wont work). So if anyone knows of any good C++ compilers that are good for creating Win32 apps, please list. Thanks.

I use MinGW to compile. VC++ is too Microsoft-obsessed, and too damn hard to compile with. I only use it to write with.
Originality is dead.
Quote:Original post by BringBackFuturama

I use MinGW to compile. VC++ is too Microsoft-obsessed, and too damn hard to compile with. I only use it to write with.

What? Well the MS obsessed part, well duh, it's an MS product. Hard to compile with? So it's easier to go into another program, reload the project to get the updates and recompile instead of just hitting F5 or Ctrl+F5? Please explain how anything past VC6 (if anyone is still using this, please quit coding hehe. MS VS2k5 EE is free now...) is even remotely difficult. I think a lot of people here will help you figure it out.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

I like the Visual Studio compiler. I actually like that it forces the correct use of namespaces.
Dev-C++ is lightweight, capable of generating Win32 projects out-of-the-box, and is fairly popular. Code::Blocks (linked above) is also a suitable option, but I havn't tried it personally.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Did you enter the paths so the compiler can find the PSDK files?

I would also suggest Dev-C++ if you don't want to use VC++.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Quote:Original post by pulpfist
Norton is for people who dont do stuff themself.
Id rather whipe out and reinstall my OS every 1-2 years, than have Norton eat my memory and CPU on a 24-7 basis

I'm getting sick and tired of this bogus argument. I've been using Norton for quite some years, and I never experienced any extensive memory and/or CPU hogging. On this machine I'm using NIS2003 and all components toggether use about 15MB memory while none them use more than 0 CPU time (in the Task Manager). Mind you, this is a P3-600 with 320MB RAM.

Of course, if you aren't a total noob you would disable the realtime viruschecking and such. Go ahead, install your OS every 1-2 years while I stick on my Win2000 Server station with Norton. It has been running since 2002.

BTW to the OP I would suggest to keep trying VC express, because it simply is the best you can get, not even accounting for the fact it is free.
I think you can only run VC++ Express on the computer you installed it on, I'm not sure though, I'm going by the fact that my VC++ Express programs don't run at college. And when I uninstalled VC++ Express the programs stop running too.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement