Total Newbie 100% ^^

Started by
13 comments, last by INFINITE LIGHT 17 years, 11 months ago
Heya guys :) Well ive readed some toturails about C++ from this site they sure dit inspire me to work with C++ :) so i dicided to download C++ visuel 2005 and now i got it only i got no CLUE what to do i am aiming to program my own games first to start small (tetris etc) and later make bigger games with teams :) if anyone can help me design/code my first game dont be afraid to post it Video toturails are VERY welcome PS: dont give me an toturail about an super huge 3d game wich i cant make because my lack of exprience Thanks for evrything Mewhywhy
Advertisement
If you want to program in C++, you have to learn C++.
EDIT: Well, yes as Boder said, learning C++ is the first step :)

Well, good luck on your journey...I would suggest the following:

1) Get a good book to help you. Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson is a very good one if your goal is to make games. It will teach you the basics of C++ and then apply those ideas to a game at the end of each section. The games are text only, but you probably aren't ready for graphics yet. After you understand the ideas in the book you will be able to move on to graphics and things. (There are plenty of other good books that have similar approaches, so you might want to browse a little.)

or

2) You could google 'C++ Tutorials' and get a whole bunch of stuff. These aren't always the best written or most understandable, but they are free and are usually good enough to give you a good idea of what to do. They don't go into half the detail of a book (usually), and you must resist the urge to copy and paste everything. You should read them, then try to do it yourself, maybe refering to the internet as a resource when you are really stuck. If I recall correctly I found these helpful: Click Me!
very helpfull and thx :D

more suggestions are welcome

:)
As the guys said you need to learn c++ first.
The same way you need to learn the alphabet before you learn to speak.

This task can be a bit tedious becouse what you start with is typically a lot of small text based programs learning one thing at a time, so brace yourself.

I suggest that you follow a book, since the online tutorials is often incomplete, and very speciffic.
For a starter there is a good book online.
This book is easy to follow, and will rush you through the basics of the language.
Note that it is not about writing games. A book that tries to combine the language basics with writing games would not be a good book.

As you gain some knowledge, this site has some nice tutorials you can play with.
Quote:Original post by pulpfist
This task can be a bit tedious becouse what you start with is typically a lot of small text based programs learning one thing at a time, so brace yourself.

This brings me back to GWBASIC

5 CLS
10 PRINT "What is your name "
20 A$=INKEY$
30 PRINT "HELLO "+A$

hehe. Reminds me of my commodore 64.
My programs wasnt so advanced as yours though, user input?!?! who cares!
wait...

Quote:The same way you need to learn the alphabet before you learn to speak.

Did you just say that you need to learn the alphabet before you speak??? I'm pretty sure I learnt how to say "Look mummy!" and "Outside!" before i learnt to chant "aaye bee see dee eee effff geee haich eye jay kay elemenobee"
I'm surprised noone has yet mentioned this thread...
_______________________Afr0Games
Quote:Original post by Silvo
wait...

Quote:The same way you need to learn the alphabet before you learn to speak.

Did you just say that you need to learn the alphabet before you speak??? I'm pretty sure I learnt how to say "Look mummy!" and "Outside!" before i learnt to chant "aaye bee see dee eee effff geee haich eye jay kay elemenobee"

I was just thinking that, I spoke before I learnt the alphabet. Must be an Australian thing eh? =P But yes pulpfists point is important.

And now for something semi-related: visit the thread Afroman posted it sounds just about perfect for you. Other than that check out the forum FAQ's for a bunch of links to tutorials or even google for C++ tutorials. Just find one you like and actually learn it as well as being inspired by it...

Take care.
What we do in life... Echoes in eternity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement